NO Fridge...could you do it?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Mine only has eggs(which could be stored in my cellar), jugs of cold water, fruit, salad vegetables, ketchup, Miracle Whip, hot pepper butter, yeast and a jar of jam. Yep, I think I could conceivably do without a fridge, if needed! :p
OMG!! Do you even want to hear what all is in my fridge.....Well of course you do!! ALL of the usual condiments....milk, four pounds of different types of fudge, spinach greens, green onions, salomi, a log of trail bologna, three different bottle of opened juice, one container of open homemade juice, two jars of cheese sauce (both nearly empty, two containers of sour cream, two containers of french onion dip, like 4 or 5 dozen eggs, 5 duck eggs on the door, sliced cheese, velveeta cheese, half block of cheddar cheese, several containers with leftowvers, plus about a million other things....and that is just the inside fridge....I am not sure what is in the fridge in the garage!

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
PP - Are you sure you looked in your fridge and not mine. LOL
Well except for the spinach. I don't have that but I do have oranges, apples, grapes along with the rest of that stuff. Oh and way in the back corner of the bottom shelf is something that would make a really good science project.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would not even try to do it on purpose! Mine is full of "refrigerate after opening" stuff. Plus the potatoes that keep going mushy in my vegetable bin. A big jug of sweet tea is always in there. The milk & rice milk. Lunch meat and bacon. Cheese. Salad greens.

Here in Mississippi (You know what I'm talking about, Wanda!) It's 66 F degrees in the middle of December at 9 o'clock at night! (It was at least 76 this afternoon.) There is never an extended period of time when we could safely store foods at outside temps.

If something happened and I had to live without a fridge involuntarily, I would have to completely redesign the way we eat, prepare and store food.

Cassandra

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Pam,

If you decide to get rid of your 'fridge you can send me the fudge.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
dacjohns said:
Pam,

If you decide to get rid of your 'fridge you can send me the fudge.
I think DH, 3, and 6 yo would disown me if I gave it away!! I tried to save a whole block of it so I could bribe the cable guys when they came up my road to get my cable hooked up faster....well the cable guys have not come back and I could not keep everyone out of it...so now I have got to find something else to bribe the cable guys with to move a little faster when they do come back!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
2dream said:
PP - Are you sure you looked in your fridge and not mine. LOL
Well except for the spinach. I don't have that but I do have oranges, apples, grapes along with the rest of that stuff. Oh and way in the back corner of the bottom shelf is something that would make a really good science project.
The apples and oranges are sitting on the counter!
I see bacon on Cassandra's list....I have an open pack of turkey bacon in there too!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I see bacon on Cassandra's list....I have an open pack of turkey bacon in there too!!
We buy big boxes of bacon ends & pieces. It's always like picnic time when we find of of those big chunks that is like a slab of ham. :lol:

Cassandra

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Obviously I *could* go without a fridge, but I certainly enjoy not having to ;)

That article is a little odd-sounding to me, I wonder what the writer had in mind -- possibly small-town households eighty or a hundred years ago? It seems to assume you are purchasing your meat and dairy stuff and can manage to do so every day or two (which to me says 'town or city'), but it talks about having a cool cellar or cold-pantry, and growing veggies (which to me implies 'not an apartment'). That doesn't invalidate its point, but the strategies the article suggests seem rather narrowly-focused.

Pat, having just finished putting bubblewrap up on the basement windows to prevent the whole *basement* from unnecessarily becoming a fridge :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got this off a UK website.
they were self sufficient to the level of "off the grid" and no power....they lived off their land, they did not work conventional jobs.

they talked about cutting all bills to nothing...elec. included.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Well, FarmerChick, you have actually scared me- live without a fridge. Shudddddddder. My family actually did that for a few months when we sort of got stuck.
There was no chance of gardening, even if it had been planned and my Mom knew how (city girl that she was.) We lived off canned everything- kacki colored canned peas, chipped beef, canned tuna, canned spinach, canned milk,etc etc etc. We obviously did not die but it was not pleasant. The only good thing about it was canned peaches.
You would have to plan very well for that- I can't imagine having a number of smaller children if your cow dried up or her pregnancy failed. Or something got into the garden or you had an early frost.
I suppose mostly that something would most always survive but you could get some serious nutricional diseases by living on pumpkins and turnips all winter.
Sure would make planning and good judgement a neccessary virtue- people who fiddled the summer away would have a really hard time.

I think I will go hug my lfridge.................