No Knead Sourdough and more questions!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is why I finally stopped helping mine rise on a cold day.

I said in your other post that a few days ago it took mine over 12 hours to rise in my cold kitchen, but it did...although I did give it a bit of help in the end b/c I was tired.

Anyway Dace, I can't wait to see how this one turns out!!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
ORChick said:
"I am sure that those differences, fast shorter rise vs slower fuller rise have some significance. Can anyone tell which one is closer to being usable? I am putting my money on the slower fuller rise jar."

I would bet on that one too.

As for all your extra, I put mine in the compost pile ;)
Ok...so I just got home and the dang smaller jar still has not receded!
I fed it at 8:30 this morning it hit it's peak at about 12 and now it is 8pm and it is still full tilt HIGH!

WTF?

Should I feed it or wait until tomorrow .....when it should go down?
Plus this risen one does not smell like much the one with the quick rise and fall smells like ripe bananas....maybe the bigger one just needs more food because of the volume? Could it be the fast rise and fall was a combination of very active beasties/not enough food/and warm temps? It was about 75* in the kitchen today.

BBH....these jars are side by side, so it is not temp, something funky is up with them!

This is all a mystery to me!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Dace, what helped me hugely is that there is a youtube video of Lahey and Bittman doing the bread recipe. Go on youtube and look up no knead bread and it will come up. Just modify that for the sourdough, obviously. Oh, and mine was pretty wet, even a bit wetter than Lahey's looked in the video (maybe it just seemed that way because it was on my hands ;) ) and it turned out great. NOT like normal bread dough, so don't worry! It's more like pancake batter =P And yeah, I've never had trouble with sticking.

ETA: the DO is used instead of a loaf pan so that the right level of humidity can be reached. I've read that you can put a pan of water in the oven below your loaf pan and get much the same result, but I haven't tried. :)