No worms

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I may order some. Or I may just pick up a box from the bait store and turn them loose every now and then. They are supposed to populate quickly.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today I dug a hole u dear the rabbit butches. I have a gopher problem and he decided to build a tunnel under there. I was very surprised to find a solid 2 inches of black dirt before the sand. But still no worms.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's weird - that's one place that you'd think there'd be tons of worm! I think it'd be a great idea to broadcast some under there and see what happens.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I really don't have any worms either. I have added humus like crazy, but still no worms. I guess I'll have to buy some. I guess worms don't like sand.

At our old house, I put horse manure in the garden that came from black clay land and it had loads of worms.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maybe try and dump a bunch of leaves in there, earth worms love leaves.

There's plenty of leaves in there. My wood chips come from tree services. They are 80% leaves by volume and I have pit 12 inches of it in the garden since we started

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There's plenty of leaves in there. My wood chips come from tree services. They are 80% leaves by volume and I have pit 12 inches of it in the garden since we started

Weird... I can't ever remember having a garden where is didn't have tons of earth worms. Even in North Carolina where my garden was red clay, I still had tons of earth worms.

I really don't know why you don't have any... I suppose you could try and farm some to add to your garden. I did that when I was a kid and sold them by the dozen to fishermen. You can grow a lot of night crawlers in a 4' x 4' x 12" deep wooden box. I had mine down in the basement of our old house where it was cool. I farmed them in the winter and sold them in the spring and summer. I suppose you could farm them this winter then dump them in your garden this spring.

You don't happen to have a lot of moles do you? Moles eat worms and bugs in the ground.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Weird... I can't ever remember having a garden where is didn't have tons of earth worms. Even in North Carolina where my garden was red clay, I still had tons of earth worms.

I really don't know why you don't have any... I suppose you could try and farm some to add to your garden. I did that when I was a kid and sold them by the dozen to fishermen. You can grow a lot of night crawlers in a 4' x 4' x 12" deep wooden box. I had mine down in the basement of our old house where it was cool. I farmed them in the winter and sold them in the spring and summer. I suppose you could farm them this winter then dump them in your garden this spring.

You don't happen to have a lot of moles do you? Moles eat worms and bugs in the ground.

Moles and gophers. I been kicking their ass all week. Caught 3 this morning