No worms

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bingo! @crealbilly I think you hit it on the nail head. Gopher mounds everywhere. The dogs dig caverns trying to get the durn gophers or moles or whatever they are.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bingo! @crealbilly I think you hit it on the nail head. Gopher mounds everywhere. The dogs dig caverns trying to get the durn gophers or moles or whatever they are.

I went to tractor supply and got gopher traps. 2 for $10 so I bought 4 last weekend. So far I have gotten 5. I kicked the hills down and every time I see a new one I set on it. We have less hills already

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Today I dug a hole u dear the rabbit butches. ... I was very surprised to find a solid 2 inches of black dirt before the sand. But still no worms.
Here's what I think, by analogy: if you've just got bees, but no flowers, you've got no honey. If you've just got flowers, but no bees, again you've got no honey.

I've got a basically sandy mineral soil. The organic layers are essentially atop this sand underlayer, but because there've been organic gardens here for many years, organic particles do seep down into the sandy. A good organic soil needs the mineral soil, the organic material, and moisture. You work at building it up each year.

Worms don't thrive in (or get much in the way of nutrition from) sand particles, even fine-sand particles. Chic Rustler, you've got a very recent upper layer of good, rich organic material from the rabbits, etc. You don't have the other part: earth worms. And possibly you don't even have worm eggs in what you now have on your ground. They need to be there to get the game started.

It's like lock & key, snow & skis, table & chairs, spaghetti & meatballs, soap & water, grins & giggles. :old

Last edited:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
found some more mounds this morning. These little %#$@%@ won't let up. Time to get western

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Got two more of them today. One was actually in the garden. He made a mound right by my okra.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I don't think I'll ever get rid of them all. But if I can keep them somewhat under control.....