noodles

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Could someone give me a refresher on making homemade noodles? It has been a long time since I even tried (15+ years) and my grandmother has altzimers and the last few times I saw her she couldn't tell me how. Thanks.

Ps- I need aprox amounts of ingredients.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I found this recipe for you:

3 c flour
6 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

In a big mixing bowl, mix together all ingredients with your hands.

Mix until hard (yet pliable) dough forms. If gets really wet, add little bits of flour to keep it workable. (10-15 minutes). Dough will not be very smooth at this point.... work it out until it is smooth.

Separate dough into two round balls. Turn out onto floured surface and let them rest for 5 minutes.

Working with one of the dough balls, roll it out on a floured surface (don't forget to flour your rolling pin). Roll it until thin but firm enough for you to pick up the whole sheet (roll for about 15 minutes until about 1/8 in. thick).

Set first sheet aside and roll out the second dough ball.

Set the sheets somewhere so they can "dry". You don't need to hang them like you sometimes see in pictures or movies. You can leave one on the rolling board and one on the table or clean countertop... Let them rest and dry for about 15 minutes.

Time to cut the noodles! Cut dough into strips about 3-4 in. wide. Then, stack those strips, and working from the shorter end, and using a SHARP knife, cut your noodles into small strips. 8Put cut noodles into lightly-floured bowl. Get your water boiling. When ready, boil noodles until they rise to the top. (This will be quicker than when you boil the packaged noodles from a box).

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks.

I couldn't remember if she added milk. But I remember the pile of flower on the table and a hollow in the center where you put the eggs. A bowl sounds easyer!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Now granted, I have never tried this recipe....so if it sucks don't hold it against me :lol: Supposedly it is an old Polish recipe though handed down for several generations...so to me, that says it MUST be yummy! Let me know, would ya? ;)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Cool :D I plan on trying it too, but not for at least a week or so. I have too much going on otherwise right now!!!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This is the recipe I learned from my babysitter, many moons ago, and still use today:

For each cup of flour you plan to use (which depends on how many noodles you want), you need 1 egg, and 1/2 an egg shell full of milk. Put flour in bowl, make a well in the middle, carefully crack egg(s) clean, and drop in the well. Add milk. Mix with a fork, adding a few more drops of milk if needed, to make a slightly sticky dough. Shape into a ball (or several, depending). Roll out on a floured surface until almost paper thin. Slice into strips with a pizza cutter. Let strips 'rest' a bit (dry a little), brush off excess flour left on them, then drop into boiling water/broth/soup in a 'sprinkling' manner (to help them to not stick together). Stir well, to also help keep them separated.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now, when you say flour, do you mean flour flour or semolina flour? I've always thought that noodles MUST be made with semolina (except for potpie noodles, of course, lol). Which is why I never ventured into making like a linguini type noodle.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My grandma always used regular white flower from the store.

Latest posts