Nose Bleeds - how to stop them

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just had a nose bleed. I cannot remember which decade I last had one. No, I wasn't picking my nose nor blowing it. I was bending over the cat box to clean it out when I felt a runny nose starting. Nope. A nose bleed.

Compressed my nose, just under the bony part with a tissue. Blood went down my throat, I tried not to swallow too much, it came out the other nostril, I checked after 5 minutes. Still bleeding profusly. Went online one handed and found that we can use an accupressure point just under our nose, on our upper lip. Did that and still bled.

Switched from tissues to paper towels. Squeezed nose, while slightly leaning forward for 10 more minutes. Got the most of it to stop after 17 minutes. Now I have a tissue packed up inside the nostril, but its still dripping once in a while. I haven't blown my nose, so as to not dislodge the clot.

Any more suggestions? I'd like this thread to be available for searching by all whenever needed.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cayenne pepper. 1/4 tsp dissolved in water. Hot, yes. But it works within seconds on my son. It can also be applied topically, but I wouldn't want to do it in the nose :lol:
I have never used a full tsp. on the kids, but that's what Dr.C recommends -

From Herbal Legacy by Dr. Christopher:

" Nosebleeds: A teaspoon of cayenne in a cup of water (hot preferred) taken internally will stop most nosebleeds quickly. In an emergency such as this we use cayenne. As mentioned a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of water and drunk right down will stop a nosebleed in nearly every instance, by the time you can count to ten. This is not a miracle; it is the principle of the cell stimulant cayenne traveling through the entire blood stream and regulating the pressure so the pressure of the flow is the same in the feet as in the head or any other part of the body. This takes the heavy pressure off the hemorrhaging area and allowing a quick coagulation. [HHH p.110]"

Also, when my son gets them frequently, I give him cayenne in capsules a couple times a day and that takes care of the problem. It's just easier on the tastebuds.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I had frequent, semi-heavy nosebleeds when I was a kid. Enough that mom got me checked by a doctor. The Dr. always said to pinch the bridge & tilt back. I could never do that because I would gag :sick

Anyways, the best way I have found is to (gently!) stuff a tissue into the nostril & apply a cold washrag across the bridge of the nose. Pinch the bridge. Then tilt your head slightly forward, not enough to increase the blood pressure there, but as if you were sitting & looking at a book in your lap.

Sorry about your nosebleed! Yuck! :hugs

ETA: That is neat about cayenne pepper! Very useful stuff :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Do NOT lean backwards, unless you like swallowing blood--blech!

I shove Kleenex up the nose, pinch the bridge and stay neutral or lean forward for about 15 min, then try removing the Kleenex. Repeat as necessary until bleeding has stopped.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I believe the pressure point is in the gums above the upper teeth. Try rolling a tissue or piece of paper towel and lodging it all the way up between the upper lip and the gums, above your front teeth. Press from the outside and hold for about five minutes. I have seen this work quite quickly in children. Hope this helps!

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Old wives tale to try. An ice block down the back of your shirt, or anything cold. I have used a key in the past and it worked. :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Actually, you can have good success with an icepack on the back of your neck at the base of your skull. I've used this with many a patient with great success.

Even surprised a doc who had a nosebleed he couldn't stop....he argued with me but submitted to the ice pack...and then didn't have the good grace to thank me when it stopped bleeding... :rolleyes:

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Do you need a humidifier in your house?
hmmm...never thought of that, WZ. It is low humidity here. Usually 15% or so. I was just shocked at having a nose bleed for no reason. I'll think on this....great...another thing to use electricity, when we have some of the highest rates in the country. But it probably is better than some of the health issues due to dry weather.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Now, in the future, we and newbies can search for the word nosebleed and find this thread!

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yarrow!! I have reeeeeally bad nose bleeds and I always used yarrow. I also moisturize about twice a week with some petroleum jelly on a q-tip just barely up my nose to prevent further leaks in the winter, which is the worst time for me. Also, I really didn't want another electric gadget at my house either so I started to do what my mom did when I was growing up- just put a pot of water on the stove and let it simmer on low for a few hours every day. She sometimes put in oils like rosemary or she put in orange rinds and cinnamon (my fav!).Or you could just use a tea pot with and open spout on low.Just be sure you don't forget about it and burn up your pot!!

*A caution on the yarrow* It will stop a nose bleed but it can also START one so don't put it up your nose if it isn't bleeding! It's an ancient herb used since Roman times to stop bleeding. I always just put a clean leaf in my mouth chewed it a little just to chop it up and then shoved it up my nose- simple. So grow a little common yarrow in your flower bed and you can aways have it on hand. It dries quite nicely as well.

Latest posts