flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The only organ meat we do is the yummy parts of a turkey--fight for the heart around here and we will do some fried tongue IF it is seasoned well. Probably should be trying more, but a lot of the textures are what gets me and the girls.

certainly understandable. intellectually i understand there are a lot of foods out there that i've never eaten which are nutritionally pretty good and they may even have great flavors to them, but the ideas and textures would have to be overcome. making sausages and other things from them would probably work as i do like spicy foods. my preference is to be able to try things buffet or potluck style as then i'm not wasting food if i don't like it. i'll just put a bunch of single bites of this and that on my plate and go from there - the plate will be empty if i like anything or not. and i am well aware of things i don't like from both smell and listed ingredients so i avoid some things no matter what (fish eggs, no thanks, not ever again, ick :) vs. sardines, yum! i like those).

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
steak & kidney pie, and liver & onions, are traditional and still popular here. Some of the glands are delicious - usually marketed as sweetmeats. Brawn (head) and tripe (stomach lining) were popular up t'north in times past; I tried tripe and didn't like it; never tasted brawn, and it's hard to find any offal bar liver, kidney, heart and marrow bones in the shops here these days. But there was a piece in the paper the other day about almost the whole chicken being edible, and I intend to try more of it next time I dispatch a surplus roo.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Husband got a buck over the weekend. The only organ he saved was the heart. I sliced and cooked in a skillet with butter and celery salt. Was really good.

We made packages of people meat, pet meat, and the carcass went to the poultry. They are still eating on it this morning. Had to flip to the other side. I score all over with a knife so it's easier for them to pick off.

Attachments

• DSCN6984.jpg
    DSCN6984.jpg
    264.8 KB · Views: 142

Latest posts