Not for vegetarians........

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
The goats that I traded for my doelings where taken to the slaughter house last week and I went to pick the frozen meat up yesterday and it was way under what my own goats usually dress out as.
So I asked the guy whether it was possible that this was only the package from the one goat. It was 39 pounds from goats totalling 155 pounds live weight. They all thought it was odd too so were trying to find another package or an explanation.
I had an idea to count the shanks to see if both animals were in the package. The man there pulled out the shanks and, without washing his hands or anything, was handling the frozen shanks to count them.. I just went yucky inside. He took the package inside to re-wrap it.
Now I know what I can't see inside the building is probably as bad or worse but it really bothers me that the meat is now contaminated.
What would you do? Silly I know but it really bothers me.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I know it is icky but if the meat is frozen, and you are going to keep it frozen for a bit and then cook it , I would not think bacteria would be a problem. I am hoping Pat will come a long and throw in her 2 cents, she is very knowledgeable in these things!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
UGH
I know exactly what you mean ETR
certain "things" set so wrong with me also! this would be one of them..LOL

but I would use the meat definitely. It is frozen, will be frozen, will be cooked! So cooking will handle all problems, but I don't like the way he handled it either.

don't let this ruin all your good meals to come. Cooking with heat will handle all bacteria type problems, and let it pass. That is what I would do.

just a pair of plastic gloves on would have made a world of difference. But I know exactly that kind of feeling! :)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
More importantly you have to assume that if he had no problem diving in to the meat without gloves or a good hand washing then those things are not a habit and if they are not a habit...well that is just wrong.

I think I would have to speak to someone about it. I mean, I think the meat if fine to eat in the context of it being handled frozen and all.....but if they have sloppy food handling practices then I would be looking for another processor, because it is only a matter of time before cross contamination gets to you.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Why no vegetarians? ;)

You have to assume this sort of thing happens. Especially in the big plants that we don't get to tour. :p

My advice? Keep the meat frozen. Thaw it in the fridge, definitely not on the counter. Use it as soon as possible. Make sure it cooks thoroughly. You will probably be fine.

If I had been in your shoes I would have made him feel really uncomfortable. If he wouldn't take a subtle hint, I would have said something. :/

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You need to read the book "Fast Food Nation". NOT the movie,the book.

Ditto what everyone else said. I am sure you will be fine. Just DONT think about it. DONT
..NO....
......Stop it.... DONT THINK about it
..........Stop

Drakemaiden this is a person who doesnt follow proper food preparation and handling techniques, I dont think he would catch SUBTLEY (sp) at all.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
"Why no vegetarians?"

I was worried about offending someone with meat talk.

I treat vegetarians like nuns- you don't talk about certain things around them becasue you do respect their position. Even if it is not your's. :duc

By the way- no other meat processors within a hundred miles- there is one guy who comes to your place to do the deed then takes the carcass to a butcher. I was thinking it would be less traumatic for the goats if I did this. I don't know.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, roosmom, maybe I meant "nonverbal" more than "subtle". LOL

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
I was worried about offending someone with meat talk.

I treat vegetarians like nuns- you don't talk about certain things around them even though you do respect their position. :duc

By the way- no other meat processors within a hundred miles- there is one guy who comes to your place to do the deed then takes the carcass to a butcher. I was thinking it would be less traumatic for the goats if I did this. I don't know.
I see your point.

I'm not easily offended and I don't think most vegetarians would get too worked up about such a topic. After all, most have read up on worse animal treatment. ;) Also I eat meat occassionally and I am looking toward raising and butchering some chickens next year. (We'll see if I have the guts for that).

If I were in your situation, I would consider writing a letter to the meat processors and just let them know your concerns. This might be difficult to word without upsetting them, but then they might be more mindful, about how they handle the meat in front of you (at the very least). Just a thought. It would have to be carefully written and even then it might be best to let it go . . . ?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I wouldn't let it go, but that's just me. I do think the meat should be fine, but and in my opinion, it is a big but, but if they do stuff like that in front of you , I would be more than a little concerned about what they do behind closed doors. Health and safety is a big thing. For employees, yes, but when you are dealing with meat, the safe practices of handling meat for safe consumption is a biggie. and by his actions, it would be cause to question their ssafe handling.
Again, it's jsut me, but I would definitely SAY something.

As an analogy, you're driving and have done rolling stops for years. Then you get a ticket for it. I bet you're gonna think twice before doing a rolling stop again.