Not-Quite-Western Maryland

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi there. I'm Jenna and a newbee here. I live in Frederick, MD.

I'm going to get some chickens this spring and I just registered today for a beekeeping course - YAY! I want to start some raspberries and blueberries, too.

I've been involved in simplicity and self-sufficiency all my life - though I never had any land until recently. We always had a huge garden when I was a kid (I tell my kids we planted by moonlight "back then") -- back when almost everybody had some sort of vegetable garden. My first job was when I was 9 and I picked daffodils for a local grower every March/April for years. My friends call me Becky-Home-Ecky because I actually enjoy hanging my clothes out on the line, doing my dishes by hand and hauling in firewood. I cook and sew and knit/crochet - just extremely domesticated!

I hope to learn a lot and also contribute here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:welcome

Nice to have you, Jenna!!! Sounds like yer our kind of gal, for sure! I wish they had beekeeping courses around here! Lucky !

Tell us more about your place...better yet, start a journal like the rest of us and post some pics? We like to see how folks are doing their thing and maybe steal some ideas.... :D :p

We'll have to talk more about this strong desire to get back to the land and out of the working world rat race, won't we? We'll have to call the thread "Seeking Solace in Selfsufficiency"! :lol:

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Well Becky-home-ecky, you are at the right place. Because most of us here are a lot like you.
Like Bee said, start your journal so we can all steal your secrets.
I sure wish we had beekeeping classes here also. I have a friend who has a friend (you know how that works). Anyway, I am hoping he will teach me bee keeping. We will see. I really want a couple of hives. Maybe you can share what you learn with us since a lot of us don't have classes available.

Welcome:welcome

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi
jump in and chat...we love new ideas to be more SS from everyone!

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
:welcome

We'll have to talk more about this strong desire to get back to the land and out of the working world rat race, won't we? We'll have to call the thread "Seeking Solace in Selfsufficiency"! :lol:
Thanks Beekissed! I'll get a journal going soonest!

Maybe we could call it "Hampster Wheels are for Hampsters!"