Not really "buy-sell-trade" yet....wanting opinions on something

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have an idea and I want your opinions on it. Those who have taken any of my teleconferences and any who want to and especially those who aren't familiar with what I do yet.

I want to set up a website with self-paced courses in several areas: my healthy lifestyle 12-week series will be the core course at first. I will add CE (continuing education) courses for LMT's, and am thinking about mini-classes, too, such as various how-to lessons that can be taken a la carte for a couple bucks each. There will also be several free short lessons as samples.

I will also have printable stuff like articles and recipes. Ultimately.

The classes will consist of me on video. For some classes, it will be straight lecture. For others, it will be demonstrations. Some might have both. CE courses will have tests to be completed, of course.

I would ultimately like to have a resource list of where people can buy the stuff I talk about in my classes....raw milk, pastured meat and eggs, homemade toxin-free soaps, raw honey, real maple syrup, etc. That will take a while to compile and will likely be an ongoing process.

The big question is......would you pay for this type of education (in theory, I am not asking for an obligation!) if you wanted to learn something and this were available?

What would you (or people you know) pay for the 12 week series? It will be similar to one that is taught in doctor's offices for an average of $300 and up to $600, out of pocket by the patient. Oh, and as it is self-paced, it can be taken in less than the 12 weeks if one desires. I have taught it for $150 with about $110 in supplies in a kit. I need to really fill a class to make that worthwhile for 12 classes, though, as you can see by the low profit margin. But I have no overhead with the teleconference so it works. I would have a start-up cost with the website and a hosting fee monthly. It would have to be a pretty darn fancy site.

Whatcha think?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since you asked, count me OUT!, there is plenty of free info on the internet, what makes your brand worth paying for? I am not trying to be nasty, just stating what my thoughts are honestly.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is what I need to know before shelling out bucks. However, some info is spotty and hard to find and sort through. Some people like a certain presentation style and find it worth paying for. YouTube has a ton of stuff, and savvy posters there use this medium to point people to their websites.

I will really have to offer something that is different and special. I think I can. I will also have to keep the price low.

I did know when posting this that most here do everything themselves and don't spend money unless they cannot get it for free....so I realize in advance that ss forum members are not my target clients! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The information that free and I have gathered over the years about diet and nutrition is not readily available. I think it would be worth it just to save the time it took to wade through all the confusing garbage out there.

It has taken me 3 years of weekly (sometimes daily) study to put all the pieces together. I have also done a lot of digging on pubmed, watching hours and hours of rather dry video lectures and reading 400 lb books aimed at grad students.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, my thoughts are that I will make a simple version, much simpler than I usually teach via teleconference. Then will offer a second series that has more advanced, detailed information.

Many of my students have been more internet savvy than I and continue to send me stuff they find online. And say that my classes really, really helped them. They can find info free, yet took my class. After getting to know me in some other venue or via referral, that is.

Just realized that I have quite a collection of testimonials already!

I am already thinking about coupon codes and discounts to those who refer others. I want to get really fancy-schmancy but yet super user-friendly.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I for one have learned a TON from you. I think others would be willing to pay for the privilege. In this economy it would be important to keep your cost low (at least at first). Are you thinking about selling a tape or how will you handle the teleconference classes?

I think a lot of what you have to teach is not only very timely for our society, I think you are so much more down to earth about things than other "gurus" out there. I don't here you using scare tactics or insisting that one pill or vitamin is THE way to health. People need the chance to learn about the old ways. Learn how to eat foods that are nutritionally sound without the hoopla.

I think you are just the girl for that.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I love to learn the things you teach. The only thing is the big classes intimidate me. I like the idea of

"such as various how-to lessons that can be taken a la carte for a couple bucks each. There will also be several free short lessons as samples."

This way if I am working on a SS skill or food topic you teach such as Kefir I can just learn about that topic on it's own.

Then maybe by exploring your site I will find other things I am interested in.

Great ideas!!!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement and endorsement! I am thinking that this would replace the teleconferences, unless demand increases because of the web-based video classes.

As for products....I do have my favorites, and I would more likely highlight them in the video classes, some anyways. Only ones that I have personally used long-term, though, as I don't want to have to be editing my videos when a manufacturer changes a formula or method and disappoints me.

This will be an income source for me, obviously, so if I have products to sell, I will sell them via the website. But I hate it when I take a class and it is a constant commercial, so I certainly WON'T do that.

I took a CE course years ago on aromatherapy for massage therapists and so loved the teacher that I bought my oils from her for years, as long as she was in business. They weren't the cheapest, but I trusted her knowledge and her integrity in sourcing the purest organic oils. I also appreciated her availability for personal advice when I was ready to make an order....she would spend time answering my questions and making suggestions. I ended up arranging for her to teach a class near me and she got a bunch of customers through me ultimately. I try to model my approach like hers.....teach first and foremost, and then let people know gently that I have products to offer. They will then know to approach me if they wish....or not.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, just rambling a bit, but you may get something from this.

Free, you are a real, honest to goodness, genuine person. Not a medical doctor, a scientist, or a paid researcher. The fact that you have done all this for your own health & just want to pass it along makes it more credible to me. And I'm still waiting for WZ to offer a class ;)

A TON of the info you passed along during your classes is very hard to track down on the internet, or is difficult to decipher from the techie speak. Often misleading information is out there as well. You've done the sifting & translation, the experiments, etc.

That being said, here are my thoughts on how you could do it.

Setup a subscription based site. Members would pay a monthly (weekly, bi-weekly) fee. That fee would cover the information you go over during that month/week/whatever. The paid fee would also allow your students to access the information they paid for whenever they wish, even a year later. You could post pdf files of your notes & handouts (saving you the printing fees) I know I keep looking back over my notes from your classes & wishing I could replay the teleconference to glean more from them.

You could provide samples like you mentioned & some free information to "tease" folks into wanting the rest. Plus your own testimonial & those of your former & current students.

This would allow your students to bow out if they start to face any financial difficulties and would keep the price tag from being so high so as to discourage signups. You could also offer a "Full Access" subscription, maybe making that available for a full year of the classes offered. That all access fee would give lifetime access to only the classes offered that year & those previously posted, but wouldn't cover anything offered next year.

Does that make sense?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I dunno, to me the only point in PAYING for a COURSE is so that you can talk with the instructor -- ask for clarifications, ask for more detail, ask tangential questions, discuss specific problems, etc. If there is no option for two-way communication then there are umpty bazillion free resources available, the same places YOU found the information. And honestly I think it is a lot more educational and valuable to ferret it out oneself, and sift and THINK about it oneself, than to just get a brain-dump of one person's opinion... ANY one person's, even yours ;)

I know there are people out there who like to pay money for things they can darn well get themselves for free with just a little bit of work; but I don't know how many there are of them these days, and I'm sure not one.

If there were some component of consultation/discussion available, then it might have some appeal to me; but not as just "watch a video, see a website".

Maybe it's just me, though.

JMO, good luck, have fun,

Pat