Not really "buy-sell-trade" yet....wanting opinions on something

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Glad you brought this up. I recently started teaching classes on what I call "Heritage Skills". Basically, beginner's information in a number of the areas I have become quasi proficient in over the years.

I am finding that the people who come to my classes are the visual learners. Yes, there are some, like me, who learn on their own, with the internet as their source. But there are enough hands on types that they were willing to pay $10-15 per three hour class.

Since I have removed the cost from the equation and have been giving the classes free, I am finding more people are also here because it is faster to take a two hour class where you can interact with the instructor than to search the internet. I guess I am more of a geek than most, as I prefer the surfing.

By the end of the summer, I hope to have established a data base large enough that I can put together a comprehensive CD covering all the skills I am teaching, plus hundreds of tips for frugal living, and the more than 500 recipes I have accumulated. This is something I will sell. I have asked the students what they would pay for such a CD, and the responses have been betewen $10 and $30, mostly $19.99. They can't seem to say $20!

Because of my subject matter and the economy, I don't think I could get more than $20.

Now of course yours is different subject matter, different structure, different content, and more comprehensive, but as a baseline maybe breaking the cost down to how much per lesson, or however you call it, and ultimately being able to market it that way: For only $9.99 per (whatever).....

My focus is on budget, though, and not the benefits of what you teach, so hopefully I am not being insulting !

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
No, I need realism here. I know what I value it at, but if the buying public doesn't yet trust me enough to lay down a chunk of change, then I pay for a website that nets me nothing but maybe an ego boost. Which I don't value enough to spend the money on!

I guess that is what the free segments will be for...so people can get a feel for my style before paying.

I don't see how I can get around the $149 for the series, though, as I really value what I put in the kit. I could trim it a tiny bit, maybe $12 my cost, but that is it. So I guess I could offer that series for...um....maybe.... $129 but my retail profit would only be $20....BUT let's assume that some of these people would refer, and some would buy other segments and class series, and some would buy some products I might offer.....So it could be doable. Then I need larger volumes of people.

:barnie So much to consider!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting idea..

I think it can definitely work if you have the resources to do so, and if you can get the classes advertised well enough.
When I learn something that I'm interested in, I like to know every why and how. Instead of 'eat this and you will be healthy' I prefer 'Eat this because it does this and this and your body works this way so it needs it in this medium' etc. And I would imagine that you would explain these things in this manner, but I definitely think it would need some form of curriculum. So many people learn things in different ways. I, personally, need a medium that I can go back and read/watch again in case it is harder for me to understand, that way I can thoroughly learn whatever it is.

As you know I did my schooling online and graduated in May. So online learning can definitely work.
The school I went to offered lessons in various forms. First, everything was almost always available in text. Most times there would also be a video linked that summarized what we learned or had an example, etc. they usually used publicly accessed videos from various websites, including Youtube. The only problem about Youtube is that if you do not own the video that you link to, you cannot control if it is deleted or changed - Or what is said.
Some lessons offered the text in an audio form, but that was a minor feature, some classes had it, and some didn't.

They also had live classroom sessions via WiZIq (http://www.wiziq.com/Virtual_Classroom.aspx) or another similar program. MANY people use these. With this feature you can have group voice sessions (like on Skype) but it also had a 'whiteboard' that had public view, so, for example, you could work out a math problem with the class. The teacher can also often give presentations and share files using that form of program.

Finally, you could contact the teacher of the class. Almost all worked from home, many from all over the country. You could contact by email, Skype, cell text, or phone. This way you could ask any other questions, trouble shooting, etc.

The school also had books they mailed out for certain classes, that way text was available online AND in the student's own hands. Some forms of curriculum were available on disk, such as Ladychef's idea.

Another hard part about teaching something that isn't face-to-face, and you probably know this, is that sometimes people put it off. It is much easier to have a schedule evolved around going to a place where you will be taught something at a set time. When it is online people seem to think that they aren't always obligated to attend. I've seen this with many other students who attended online classes. Then they failed =P
So I go agree that your time limit with the option to go as fast as possible is a good idea.

Another idea that could help you get the word out, going with the video thing, is that there are MANY communities interlinked on Youtube. There are certain communities for various religions, lifestyles, blogging, how-to's, etc. etc. I know of groups that even communicate to each other strictly through Youtube video!

Also, for example, I know of people into art that show off their talent and communicate with others for ideas and support etc. but also use the videos to advertise a websites or their pictures they are selling, etc.

I don't know, just some ideas.

So... if this happens can I be your (free) guinea pig? :p

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Geeeeezzzzzzz. Tough. I think there are probably people out there that would gladly pay for the info.

As with any new venture start up is a big thing. Also I think you can probably expect the normal 5 years to turn a profit.

This is probably a website you already know about but if not, it might be worth checking out.

herbmentor.com

I have gone through most of their free stuff, and purchased a few things. And I think that is what keeps me going back. They give me enough to keep me interested, add additional free stuff, plus have inexpensive tutorials and merchandise. They also send me a monthly news letter which reminds me to go check out whats going on there.

Sure most of their info is on the web free of charge. But they have it all in one bundle. It saves me time and when I have the extra dollars I will spend it. If I don't have the extra dollars, they still keep me coming back.

I think that may be the key. They keep their students and followers coming back. Much like SS keeps its members coming back to see whats new.

Noobie's idea of small monthly fees for access is also great.
Or the one time fee for all access.

If you can build your site with enough traffic you can hopefully get some paying sponser links. That way you would be able to keep your prices low enough for more people to have access to more of the free stuff or you could have monthly special prices for mini classes.

It sounds like a great idea for an online business. The key is to keep your repeat customers coming back for more plus people who stumble across your site have to find enough interest to want to come back for more.

I think the emailed news letters do that. So you would need to add that to your site.

Wow, what a rambling mess that is.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank you both for lots and lots of great ideas and links! Wow! Food for thought. I am getting more excited...and scared....and excited....

BB....weeee-weeeet! (guinea pig noises)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Yup, herb mentor is one of those that also has YouTube videos!

There is so much you could do if you have the time and money!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think you should. While there are people who are savvy at finding stuff for free, or digging through articles all day long, I cant. I am a very visual (and hands on) learner, I have read so many threads on here and DONT GET IT. I am having to start with some ridiculously basic like getting whey, but feel like an idiot for not getting how to ferment.

I would do it :) And like LdyChef2k said, the visual people are the ones who are most eager for classes.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the encouragement, MsPony! I guess there are people here who would pay for classes....just so you know, I plan on lots of short segments that will be free. Especially topics that are well-covered on YouTube already.

I have a lot of homework to do first. It will take a few weeks or months, but I will definitely be posting here the second it is online.

I appreciate all comments, positive and cautionary, so if you have something to add, please do. It is much appreciated.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, this overlaps onto my area of expertise, and into some of my experience as well. There are some hard realities of marketing online, first:

1. People ARE reluctant to pay for classes online, UNLESS you have an existing STRONG reputation to back it up. You can pretty much forget having people Google for info, come in, and decide to pay you cold. People who WILL pay for it, are those who have encountered you elsewhere, had a taste of your expertise, and who have been drawn in from some meaningful contact with you in some other way, first.

2. They won't like video taped lectures. Online learning is much more interactive, and the people who do it have a VERY short attention span. So you usually put together a compendium of learning materials - reading, graphics, video clips, worksheets, quizzes, etc, with printable handouts where appropriate. A lesson works through a logical series of activities, and leaves them with reminders of the most important parts.

3. Video clips should be kept to 5-10 minutes - mini-concepts, really. This is for a few reasons: First, that online learners (as stated) have very short attention spans. Second, because online video delivery is resource intensive, and short videos are best for online delivery. Third, because online videos are harder to stop and start if you cannot watch it all at once - and with online learning, this is important.

4. Video clips should be a combination of people, talking directly to the camera (like the viewer is the student), close illustrations or demonstrations, animations, diagrammed visuals, etc. This advice came from two education experts who both have extensive online educational experience, and additional research indicated they were absolutely right. It HELPS if the videos are professionally edited. But people WILL forgive amateur production if the content is presented in an understandable illuminating way.

5. You must give them SOMETHING, somehow, that they cannot get anywhere else free. Better understanding, an ah-ha moment in each concept, tools, keys to making it work, real-life applications, etc. You must also give them enough of a sample to get them hooked, but not so much that they have no need to dive deeper. This is best done with single mini-topic sample lessons that can stand alone, but which are part of a larger subject area.

6. This kind of site is best done through an online learning system (OLS). eFront is a free one (it doesn't look like it is free, but it is, and can be configured to handle an enrollment code, which can be a paid item through a separate shopping cart). Otherwise the only real option is Moodle, which is a headache to even figure out or set up. At any rate, when you cross from Free course delivery, to Paid course delivery, you cross a line in expenses, because you either have to add the functions to handle the payments (which usually cost something extra if you pay for setup), or you have to pay to enable them. This is true of many website functions - when you go from free, to paid, costs rise, because complexity, security, and profit issues all change, and if you are going to profit from it, the writers of modules to enable payment functions feel justified in charging for them. A good OLS will allow you to set up individual courses, specify pre-requisites, group lessons into a single course, categorize courses, use many kinds of media for a lesson, deliver handouts, attach quizzes or tests to the course or lesson, specify minimum scores to advance, and even deliver a certificate of completion when a course is satisfactorily mastered.

7. The degree of complexity of the site, and the cost involved, will begin and end with the platform you choose to create the site inside. If it is something you can understand and do much of the work for, then your costs will be contained better. If it is a very complex system, then you'll have to pay for more. The software IS available MOSTLY free. But it has layers of functionality, and is not simple to use, and probably never will be.

8. When choosing a platform, DO NOT choose without test driving it first (frontend, and backend, so you understand the workflows - they most likely will NOT be what you expect). Descriptions of OLS systems are often NOT even closely related to the actual functions! Often, they are exaggerated, or they are using terms which imply that it can do something, when in reality, it does something quite a bit less than you hoped for. Many times, it will do a thing, but not in the WAY you need it to do it (or the paid version will do it, but the free version won't!). Be prepared to compromise a LOT in what you think should happen, because software does what it does. If you can work WITH the system to achieve your goals, you'll get something functioning much more quickly (and cheaply) than if you work against the system. Avoid hiring someone to modify code or create new custom code if you possibly can, because your short term costs will escalate exponentially, your long term maintenance costs and complications will also increase dramatically.

If you expect to do this, it would have to be a fairly intensive effort, and might not go well alongside other endeavors that are not interrelated. In our experience, it takes so much promotional effort to get something like this going, that it almost never succeeds unless it is piggybacked on top of an existing business line, which will feed part of the customers into the new revenue line. If you don't have that, it may not be worth the effort and cost that it takes to get it going.

Long years of experience have taught us a great truth about the web:

If you have a concept that is extremely underserved, and provide something that a lot of people WANT, but which they cannot find elsewhere, growth is simplified, and it will gain momentum very rapidly. We have seen this happen when we approached several topics from new directions.

If you have something in a saturated market, OR, if what you do IS unique, but uses the SAME TERMS, with DIFFERENT MEANINGS than an existing saturated market, you are fighting an uphill battle, and it may not be worth what it costs to make a go of it. We have also experienced this in many site concepts.

I hope that helps you some. Let me know if I can answer any other questions.

Laura
Mom to Eight, Web Designer, Milker of Goats, Feeder of Chickens