Not sure

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now let's try to ease up on sixoclock. This is his first post and it seems that folks are ganging up on him. If a person has lived a life of no hard labor until 58 years old, it's very hard to jump into an active life quickly. I know lots of 58 year olds who could never become even 60% self sufficient. 58 years is a long time to train your body to take the easy road.

Many of us have been conditioned for many years to use muscles, to work long hours, to make do with what we have, and to rely on our own resources and to have the "I can do it" mindset. Not everyone has had that experience.

Hang in there sixoclock. If you're determined you can do it. But it ain't gonna be easy.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
lazyday said:
Bee, LOVE the picture's...... amazing parents you have and how lucky you are to have the opportunity to learn from them.
You are right! I was 10 when we moved there and I had an opportunity to experience something that none of my peers were doing and I learned so many thing at the same time my parents were learning...it was an invaluable life experience that I cherish all the time. I do have amazing parents...tough as nails. I thank God for them every day of my life!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Now let's try to ease up on sixoclock. This is his first post and it seems that folks are ganging up on him. If a person has lived a life of no hard labor until 58 years old, it's very hard to jump into an active life quickly. I know lots of 58 year olds who could never become even 60% self sufficient. 58 years is a long time to train your body to take the easy road.

Many of us have been conditioned for many years to use muscles, to work long hours, to make do with what we have, and to rely on our own resources and to have the "I can do it" mindset. Not everyone has had that experience.

Hang in there sixoclock. If you're determined you can do it. But it ain't gonna be easy.
I don't know that people are ganging up on him so much as encouraging him. I think it's great that they even want to try! So many people at an even younger age don't even want to try, let alone someone that age.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Boogity said:

I don't know that people are ganging up on him so much as encouraging him. I think it's great that they even want to try! So many people at an even younger age don't even want to try, let alone someone that age.
Yeah, I don't think anyone was ganging up. I think we're all encouraging them to start the new lifestyle... It may not be easy, but... Really, is it EASY for any of us? Yeah, we're more used to it now, but it's still hard work, whether you're 23 or 63.

sixoclock

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Man!! I just joined this forum and already I feel a since of family. You guys are awesome. Thanks Boogity for your comments, no I did not feel ganged up on, actually I felt loved by all of you. We are going for it and along the way I will share with you guys our journey. Thanks

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Please do keep us posted. I don't recall, did you tell us the area where you are?

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and Welcome to the forum, sixoclock! :frow

Hubby and I recently started our SS journey at the young ages of mid 40's and wouldn't trade it for the world! :cool: Twenty years younger would have been easier, but closer to 50 has been teaching us to work smarter and not harder. ;)

Looking forward to hearing about your journey!

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Never too old to follow your dream. We are 57 and 52 and living a SS lifestyle keeps you younger. After a few years you will feel fitter and healthier and probably younger.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
gang up? no way
it is all about if someone asks, 'can they' in a forum of 'people who are doing' then sure the responses are going to be GO FOR IT!
LOL :p

Latest posts