Not too bad afterall

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Its been a couple of months now since DH got laid off. And you know what? We're doing fine. Dh is a very hard worker and with all of the snow we had and a tractor with a front end loader he scored some work.
Then he bartered some labor for fuel. And then astonishingly enough he won the lottery! No, I'm serious, he had some ticket he had forgotten about in the truck and he finally took it in and it was worth $500!

I think it is all his good karma coming back to him. So we have fuel stored on site. Whenever I pull into my garage no matter what my tank looks like when I get out, when I go to leave again it is magically full again! I explained this to my kids and my daughter looked at me all serious like little kids do, and she said, "No mommy, its not a magic garage you have a magic husband!" :D

So that is going to stick. I have a magic husband.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:ya
I am glad to hear things are going well for you and your family. I hope some jobs come to your area soon. I know we could use some around here. Thanks for the good news post. :)

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That's wonderful!!!

Hubby and I did alright for about 5 months when I was out of work. After that...it really hurt.

I am so glad you are doing well.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wait . . . isn't that called a "magic man?" :D (reference to the 1976 song by the band Heart)

I'm glad to hear you are doing well. :woot for winning the lottery!

redux

Off to other pastures
Reaction score
Does he have a brother? I need a magic man/

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:weee You have a Magic man! So glad to hear things are going well. Keep your chin up! It draws GOOD carma!! Congrats on the lottery ticket!

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Awww...that warms my heart! I am happy to hear that things are going well for you guys!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
redux said:
Does he have a brother? I need a magic man/
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol:

Oh gadzooks thanks for that laugh!! So innocently given. You have NO idea! Yes, he does have a brother - an incredibly overweight loser who at 42 still lives in his parent's basement and works part time.....

Sorry, I have no idea where DH comes from since he does not seem to be related to the rest of his family....... :lol:

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad to hear your doing well. I don't remember if you posted how well you were prepared for his layoff.

Maybe you could give us the run down on what you have and don't and what you would have done differently?

gina

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tankshill that is a good question. When we started to get concerned about lay-offs - in Oct 08 we made a savings plan specific to be able to pay the mortgage. Both of us are more afraid of being homeless than anything else, so it was easy for us to decide. But, we had a long conversation about it. I think too few couples look at what money means to them rather than swear that they'll be logical and then fight when they aren't.

So by time we got the notice of the layoff we had a bankroll that could pay at least the mortgage for one year. We knew it was unrealistic to try to get a full year's worth of expenses but having a specific goal really helped.

We have been on the SS road for a while, so other than the mortgage we owe no one. No credit cards, no car, nothing. We use cash, we barter, we work hard. We paid attention to the emotional side of it all. We talk constantly. What would I do differently? Teach DH how to grocery shop! Sounds funny, but I now work too many hours and he has taken on the home mantle - but he sucks at grocery shopping. He spends too much money and the kids are eating like sugar junkies! It's funny, but it's not because he wastes too much of the budget.

Other thing I would change is how we handled it with the kids. I believe in being honest with your kids, but I think we were too honest and they saw the fear. They should have been shielded them from that.

Talk about what money means to you now how you think it should be spent......