Not too bad afterall

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thank you, that helps. I agree I need to watch my P's and Q's around the kids. They have big ears. :D

gina

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH reminded me what we weren't prepared for really was the cost of COBRA and the process for getting the kids enrolled in CHIP. The addition from the feds that helps cover the cost does help - but we weren't prepared because we didn't research it before hand and we should have.

The other was he said to tell you to take whatever is out there in the form of help. Don't be too proud to ask for what you need. He has finally started getting serious call backs on jobs he applied for in November.... He has taken advantage of everything the state offered.

If I think of anything else I'll let you know.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Cobra is one reason why dh is still keeping his job. He needs to be fired so the company is required to pay their part. It is kind of a war of the wills at this point.

It is very hard for him to have gone from being VP of a family company to low man on the totem pole. They are treating him horribly. He is doing the grunt work no one wants but when they need his experience they don't hesitate to ask for more. Not a big deal but it explains why they cut his pay. A few weeks ago he was working with a 22 year old kid in the field. The young man asked my dh how long he had worked for the company. He said 18 years. The young man being a new hire had no idea who he was. And was a bit confused.

Anyways, we are hanging tough. Just deciding our course of action. I have a ton of pantry, my hens, orchard and gardens. I know it could be a lot worse.

What exactly is CHIP?

gina

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Here CHIP is the state program that covers kids. It works on a sliding scale, if you only have unemployment it covers everything, if you have more you need to pay a share. We will pay about 50 per child per month, but it is still 400 cheaper than keeping the kids on COBRA. We kept COBRA just for me and DH and put the kids on CHIP.

I am very sorry to hear what the company is doing to your DH. I think there is a special place in hades for people who try to humiliate people out of their jobs.....

equine chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We are in the same boat, but thank goodness I'm working. We got rid of the credit cards, any extra that would not be supplemental to us being suffiecient. They are talking layoffs at my job, but tg I'm a nurse and there are jobs out there even if mine gets eliminated. Could you have your lucky man send some lottery thoughts my way.LOL:barnie

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, my working makes it work and I have got nothing for the summer so that is three months of worry.... But I know I'll go back come Fall and I suspect DH will have something by then :)