Note to self. Never talk to a farmer about grass feeding

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know those happy california cow commercials where they are on green pasture??

No such thing. They are in dry dirt lots outside. 40+ to an acre or so? Meat cows have free rein over hundreds of acres, but here its more scrub.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Buster said:
FarmerChick said:
Buster said:
They aren't shipped to market. They are shipped to CAFOs to finish off. It is very rare that beef cattle are marketed straight from grass, unless they are being marketed to CAFOs.

Anybody tells you any different is feeding you a load of bull****.
but if the farm ships to a private custom slaughterhouse like I do with my hogs, then that is all controlled
Hence the term "rare".

As in "not always". :)
I guess I was reacting to the last line---anybody tells you different is feeding you a load of bull*** lol

I can say my meats are grass fed and it would not be bs
and quite a few other farms can say this ---so not everyone is handing out bs

Buster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
Buster said:
FarmerChick said:
but if the farm ships to a private custom slaughterhouse like I do with my hogs, then that is all controlled
Hence the term "rare".

As in "not always". :)
I guess I was reacting to the last line---anybody tells you different is feeding you a load of bull*** lol

I can say my meats are grass fed and it would not be bs
and quite a few other farms can say this ---so not everyone is handing out bs
I guess my post was confusing. I mean if someone tells you most cattle are finished on grass is feeding you bull....

Which was meant to be sort of a pun. Not a very good one, apparently. :lol:

Obviously there are a good many farmers who grass finish (which is how I get mine), but they are by far a tiny minority when you consider the millions of cattle that go through the Big Three beef providers. Those are ALL corn finished on feedlots.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea so true
when millions upon millions are processed, the "real" grass fed to table ratio sure has to be small