novice level:fetus

spiderleader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed learning how to do stuff myself and know how xyz came to be. Learning how meat is processed led me to be vegan for several years, I'd like to know where my food came from and 90% is disgusting hah. Never been a fan of waste and consistently finding ways to combat it, so this made me want to be self-sufficient even more. I have about a half acre in PNW (with my mom) and have ~17 chickens and several house pets. I started a garden from seeds several times but can't get rid of the amount of rats etc as my yard is parallel to a powerline trail+natural area-where there are plenty of yotes encroaching. Also my compost is just a mole-buffet at this point with an occasional chicken oops..

I love basically anything done from-scratch and reached the point where I need more diverse feedback on my current issues, and hope to learn more about other crafts/processes in the meantime. Iv'e recently learned to use basic tools on the coop and cheaply making a mother-in-law house so I'm actually somewhat proud of that rn 😬.

Enjoy the rest of your day!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Raising one’s own food has its rewards. Are rats overrunning your garden? There is a trap called a ratinator that members on other forums have used with success. You might look it up to see if it would work for you.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome.

I have the rats of NIMH here so I understand rodent issues. I found that eliminating any dry spots for them to nest in winter worked best along with dogs killing. I also will pluck them off the coop fence and kill them. I use treadle feeders. Weight on lid because again too smart native rats who will pile mud on treadle to make it open easier. Chicken house raised off ground high enough a hen can walk under. My silkies will kill rats. First they startle, then they attack en masse. 2 pounds of killer fluff.

I'm not sure where you're at exactly, but Stewart's Meats in Yelm will let you order half a beef or pig. Local grass fed is pretty humane. Goats and sheep are whole only. That's if you want meat. I won't touch commercial veal myself because of how the animals are treated. Only had it from my great uncle once because a calf got caught in a fence and he portioned some out to everyone. I do eat my extra silkie boys and any other meat is primals I cut up because we try and budget.

Semi-dwarf or dwarf fruit trees help if you're limited on space. Cordon or espalier so they take up less space. I want an espalier apple fence but the deer and elk will eat the trees.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Raising one’s own food has its rewards. Are rats overrunning your garden? There is a trap called a ratinator that members on other forums have used with success. You might look it up to see if it would work for you.

I put mine on a board and bait it with chicken food. Must have the board because my rats will just dig underneath to get the food and not go in. Then fill the tub it came with full of water and drop the trap in.

spiderleader

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I put mine on a board and bait it with chicken food. Must have the board because my rats will just dig underneath to get the food and not go in. Then fill the tub it came with full of water and drop the trap in.
Hi!
That's actually crazy-they have to be devious to combat the silkies! I would really love to see that and/or maybe aquire some killer fluff once I can tailor the coop to them haha (I'm down by cedar grove, but technically renton). You're even able to snag rats yourself? I don't think I could drown them, but if there's a whole batch my neighbor could be willing. Otherwise if the cat gets the odd shrew/mouse alive I have the snake handle it; I'm sure she would appreciate something larger hmm.
I ended up baiting under the coop but don't want any of that near the garden even though it's just mint and oinions currently. I kinda started to dig in chx wire/cement along perimeter, but not sure how much it'd help even if I managed to finish somehow. I think the rats are using mole freeways? I use in-ground mole traps with some success, but as of yet the dogs keep digging trenches and rerouting whoevers there. I'm torn to tell them to stop/they don't do it in the yard, but they have yet to get anything ON my property...

My dad's friend uses Double T and Mt.view meats, but they've been skimping?? we get half a cow a year and this time there was no organs (primals?) or even dog bones so I'm not sure what's going on. I was already displeased he added angus, so I'm guessing he wasn't breaking-even or something. After consistently having that though, I can barely enjoy whatever 'natural' stuff the store has so I stick to whatever is free otherwise lol.

Still unsure how this works entirely so don't refrain from any type of reminders, I appreciate it all :)

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi!
That's actually crazy-they have to be devious to combat the silkies! I would really love to see that and/or maybe aquire some killer fluff once I can tailor the coop to them haha (I'm down by cedar grove, but technically renton). You're even able to snag rats yourself? I don't think I could drown them, but if there's a whole batch my neighbor could be willing. Otherwise if the cat gets the odd shrew/mouse alive I have the snake handle it; I'm sure she would appreciate something larger hmm.
I ended up baiting under the coop but don't want any of that near the garden even though it's just mint and oinions currently. I kinda started to dig in chx wire/cement along perimeter, but not sure how much it'd help even if I managed to finish somehow. I think the rats are using mole freeways? I use in-ground mole traps with some success, but as of yet the dogs keep digging trenches and rerouting whoevers there. I'm torn to tell them to stop/they don't do it in the yard, but they have yet to get anything ON my property...

My dad's friend uses Double T and Mt.view meats, but they've been skimping?? we get half a cow a year and this time there was no organs (primals?) or even dog bones so I'm not sure what's going on. I was already displeased he added angus, so I'm guessing he wasn't breaking-even or something. After consistently having that though, I can barely enjoy whatever 'natural' stuff the store has so I stick to whatever is free otherwise lol.

Still unsure how this works entirely so don't refrain from any type of reminders, I appreciate it all :)

Primals are just the muscle groups that the carcass is broken down into. Like the top loin sub primal I slice into strip steaks. The short loin is the major primal that porterhouse and T bone are cut from. Alternatively you get the said top loin sub primal. The other side of the bone is the end of the tenderloin.

Mom has been complaining about butchers near her that they use. They have no excuse because she pays for the cow directly to my great uncles family and she should get all her bones and the tail. Organ meats aren't usually an issue to get. They cheat her on the soup bones and tongue until she shows up in person