Now I have a sick kitty problem....pictures p 5....

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Florezian said:
Whoops, missed a few replies.

If it is a poisoning situation, it is possible he will be fine.
There was an older cat brought into the clinic where I was shadowing, and its pupils were huge, it was crouched, twitching and just very out of it. It was fine by the next day, just very exhausted.
Thank you for a tiny spark of hope.

I don't think he was poisoned. He is not one to get into things, and nothing has changed in our house. Both cats get the same food. Topie is not one to take food from our plates or hands.....unless it is grass-fed meat, then he will ask for some.

Actually, I had a very late supper of crock-pot pork (our pastured pork) and he asked for a bit, I was done but found a tiny shred for him. So he was absolutely fine last night around 10 PM.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
oh no! poor kitty! agree with others - probably neural. however, our Little Mo usually has big pupils and aside from being a little silly, no problems.

one of my old lady cats had a stroke - but then recovered and lived another 4 years. unless you think he's in pain, i'd make him comfortable.

can you tell if he's dehydrated? does his skin feel funny? is there anything in his mouth? can you tell if he's breathing funny (pick him up, your ear to his chest, and listen for crackling). i may have seen that stance before - usually when coughing? can you feel his throat? does he having anything stuck in it?

and you dont have to defend your position - 15 years is a good hot run. for sure.

hugs!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My old kitty had a stroke when she was 21. The first one slowed her. The second had her screaming and then she was just gone, but her body still lived. I took her to the humane society to put her down. :hit So if you are utterly certain he needs put down, my suggestion is a shelter.

:hugs

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I could not afford a vet bill/evaluation for an elderly cat right now either, Free. People shop around for euthanasia prices, I've answered the phone in vet clinics for years, it is one of the most common questions. It can range dramatically.

If it turned out to be something easy to fix any compassionate veterinarian would offer suggestions for treatment. It is perfectly acceptable to say "my limit is 50 dollars" or whatever. People do it constantly, daily, especially in these cases.

I've seen dramatic turnarounds in old animals so who is to say a miracle won't happen and the kitty will do better overnight and surprise us all?

I'd give it till tomorrow and in the meantime shop some euth prices. Where I used to work, they only charged 35 and were very respectful and gentle. Where I worked later they made a huge production of euthanasia and charged probably four times that much.

The pupils part is what has me concerned.....it can't be from anything good in a cat that age. I can think of lots of treatable reasons an older cat might crouch but the pupils, that just sounds like something serious is going on and it is a matter of time. :hugs

It is very hard to be objective at a time like this, but a 15-year old cat belonging to Freemotion has already won the "cat lotto" and has lots to brag about in heaven. Still so sorry and hoping for the best though.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a dog named Topaz that we call "Topie"...I'd never heard of anyone else using that name. :)

Unfortunately I don't have anything else to add, other than hugs & prayers for what you're going thru. :hugs

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
It is very hard to be objective at a time like this, but a 15-year old cat belonging to Freemotion has already won the "cat lotto" and has lots to brag about in heaven. Still so sorry and hoping for the best though.
you are just right, SD - Topie is one lucky cat for sure.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
you are just right, SD - Topie is one lucky cat for sure.
:hit

Thank you.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
:hugs

I was thinking stroke and thought of Spirit when you described symptoms (abi's cat). With our ancient cats I am in the same boat as you. I could not afford a vet bill at this point.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear what's going on. I completely understand about the no-vet-bill choice. I worked in dog rescue for many years, and sometimes those choices have to be made when the money that could be spent on a vet simply doesn't exist.

If it were my cat, I'd be doing pretty much what you are. Suppliments. Vitamin B especially.

I'd add some activated charcoal if you can get him to ingest it - just in case, since poisoning is always a possibility. It won't hurt him if he doesn't need it. But at his age I don't think I'd force-feed him either. (If he ingests some charcoal then expect his bowel movements to be black for a while, don't mistake that for a new symptom.)

There is a one easy test for several of the more common neurological issues pets can get. Put the cat in a supported standing position with just a tiny bit of weight on each foot, then take each foot (one at a time) and flip it upside down. (Do each foot front-to-back, not side-to-side.) If on any of the feet the cat just holds still and does not correct the foot position, then the cat has a definate neurological issue going on. It is not a diagnosis of which neurological problem or how to solve it, but it might tell you the problem is in the brain and not another type of illness.

The pupils can be from a lot of things, so I don't think they really help with the diagnosis.

And I think your instinct of separating him from the other animals is on target. A smaller room, warm, with water to drink, blankets to lay on and a nearby litterbox sound right on target for him. Darken the room if you can, to limit any discomfort from the lack of control he has over his pupils.

And hang in there. Another day ought to bring a lot of answers.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If it IS possible that it's a stroke ... I recently had taken over care of an elderly dog (14 yo large breed, so very old for her size) who had just had an episode. I finally figured out it was likely a stroke. She was wild-eyed, didn't recognize her surroundings, seemed to be temporarily deaf, unable to stand, unable to eat. The eyes returned to normal over the course of a few days, and after about five days she could eat. Honestly, I would have put her down, but it wasn't my dog so not my decision. So I cared for her as best I could. She gradually improved over a few weeks and went on to live another very active year with lots of adventures I would have thought beyond her.

At least I do know this much is possible. I was isolated too, and had nothing to treat her with. She got only food and special care, but no herbs, supplements, or anything special except some vitamins I had on hand.

I hope your Topie is better soon.