Now I have a sick kitty problem....pictures p 5....

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Free, first let me say, I SO know how the whole vet bill goes. I am so sorry you are dealing with this tho, old or not, it still hurts to see them in discomfort.
You had said he ate a mouse, first time ever? Maybe he has something stuck in his throat?? With some help, get a flashlight, and pry open his mouth, check the roof of his mouth as well. I have known cats to ingest sewing needles...altho I have no idea why they do this.
:hugs to you and your kitty...I hope all turns out well.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
do not ever feel guilty for this, youve given this cat 15 years of wonderfullness...

form your description my first thought was stroke...but even if not its definatly neurological from the pupil dialation,
could he recover....theres always a chance...
try the b sups and make him comfy...if hes no better in the morning call around for euthanasia prices.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thanks, I need extra hugs right now. He is in the closet where I left him around 4:30 to go to work. He seems a little calmer after I gave him some ace (tranquilizer) and Metacam (anti-inflammatory) left over from the other cat's crisis a few years ago ($700 vet bill....AND I took him home to care for him after surgery! And assisted the emergency procedure!) He has not had anything to eat or drink today. At all. I'll give him another cc of B's and anti-oxidants.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:hugs. I live near a wealthy retirement area. Our vet is the same way. Hopefully in the morning he will feel better. As I type this our new kitten is purring by my feet after sinking her claw in my toe!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
DianeS said:
There is a one easy test for several of the more common neurological issues pets can get. Put the cat in a supported standing position with just a tiny bit of weight on each foot, then take each foot (one at a time) and flip it upside down. (Do each foot front-to-back, not side-to-side.) If on any of the feet the cat just holds still and does not correct the foot position, then the cat has a definate neurological issue going on. It is not a diagnosis of which neurological problem or how to solve it, but it might tell you the problem is in the brain and not another type of illness.
I didn't try this yesterday as he could barely be touched without rolling around and around. Today he is calmer and the pupils are better but he still cannot stand if I set him on his feet. He just sinks down into that lying crouch, then gradually lays down like a more normal kitty. He purrs that thready purr of a sick cat when I pat him. Gave him another cc of supplements. Can't believe he's hanging on.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Can you take his temp? Sounds a lot like how my cat was acting a while back. Took her to the vet and she had a dangerously high temp.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:hugs

Imma try that neuro test on Pudding! LOL. I think she has some brain damage from starvation.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That kitty is still around is a good sign especially if improving. Maybe some sort of stroke? Purring sounds good but they sometimes purr inappropriately so you can be a little comforted by it but sometimes it is a communication mechanism/stress reducer for them, kind of like humming to yourself? Sometimes cats are not actually feeling good when they purr. :/

Sorry, I keep saying non-encouraging stuff, but I'd still be thinking about celebrating the life and quality/end of life issues with the poor dear.

I'm sure hoping for improvement for kitty though.:fl