NPIP testing

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this, so since it is directly affecting me and my chickens, I decided to put it here. Won't offend me if it is moved somewhere else, though. :)

I just spoke with the local 4-H group, the Ohio extension office, AND the Ohio Dept. of Ag...ODA is researching the laws on NPIP testing a bit more, because they said it made no sense to them.

The law states, "No poultry or eggs can be shipped or sold interstate or within the state without NPIP testing unless poultry is going for immediate slaughter." That's not verbatim, that's just how the lady explained it to me.
She said that didn't make sense to her, because the way the laws are right now, no chicken or egg can leave my property unless it's being eaten.

This also means meets/swaps are illegal sales, because not all the vendors are NPIP certified, and the birds aren't tested before leaving the premises. Auctions are legal, because they are licensed with the state and do pullorem testing on each bird before the birds leave the auction house (and charge the seller $1-$2 per bird for doing it.)

Now, the local 4-H and Ohio Extension office both told me that 4-H kids can come get a chicken from me NPIP or not, and that I can sell my chicks/eggs locally without the testing (within my county) because the 4-H kids are required to have their birds tested themselves before the fair. Their reasoning is I could be NPIP tested, but I don't know what the chickens that leave here will be exposed to in their new surroundings, which is why they have to be tested before the fairs.

Now, anyone in Ohio HAS to be NPIP certified if they are shipping across states lines (adults, babies, or eggs!) I have spent a good 2 hours this morning making phone calls to get this information. I have a local feedstore wanting to buy chicks from me, and because I want to make sure I am only offering healthy chicks, and that I am 100% legal, we are looking into the NPIP testing.

note: I am still researching this, so if I have information wrong, and it is a good possibility, I will put the correct information up as soon as I have it!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Interstate means between states i.e. across state lines.

If they meant within the state, it would be intrastate. And would probably not be phrsed that way anyhow, they would probably say 'leave your premises'.

I am betting this turns out to be the deal. Need NPIP etc for chickens to cross state line but not to move within the state.

Good luck,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The law states, "No poultry or eggs can be shipped or sold interstate or out of state without NPIP testing unless poultry is going for immediate slaughter." That's not verbatim, that's just how the lady explained it to me.

yea Quail be sure you know the exact wording. If in your state, they might not need NPIP testing cause they will be tested later, like before the fair you said.

If shipping out of state, you will have to test before they leave the state.

Get the real wording for this.....be sure you know exactly what is required of you. That way you know for sure.

I hate stuff like this. More work...LOL

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Hmm..I need to call them back...because the way the girl read it, she said how this reads is that they can't be moved from your premises without NPIP testing unless they are going for slaughter.

She used the word interstate and "your premises" when explaining it to me..gosh now I'm more confused!

Thank goodness for the edit option!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
While on the phone have her mail you the regulations.
It means alot to read it yourself.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Keljonma's second link makes it pretty clear that, yes, even transport within the state is technically illegal w/o NPIP certification.

I do not see them enforcing it however, at least not for things like fairs and swap meets. If you become a regular egg (or live bird) seller, and they decided to crack down, it might be an issue though.

Good luck,

Pat

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
How do you get NPIP testing? How much is it??

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Lucky for me, we do have one person in our county who has been trained to do the testing. We are waiting to hear back from her so we know what she charges for the testing.