NT sauerkraut recipe

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I need someone to hold my hand and guide me through it. I haven't made the kraut yet, and have a cabbage waiting. I am confused abou t he pounding--does that extrude all the liquid you will need? (besides the whey), or do you also need to add water. And how do you pound it? in the jar? or on the ocunter. if on the counter, how do you contain all the liquid? I am so confused...

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I need someone to hold my hand and guide me through it. I haven't made the kraut yet, and have a cabbage waiting. I am confused abou t he pounding--does that extrude all the liquid you will need? (besides the whey), or do you also need to add water. And how do you pound it? in the jar? or on the ocunter. if on the counter, how do you contain all the liquid? I am so confused...
Thinly shred your cabbage. Place it in a big plastic bowl and add the whey and salt.
Pound it well with whatever device you have.
Do not smoosh it all the way.
Pack it well into jars, dividing the liquid evenly. No need to add any water. Screw lids on and leave on counter for 3 days. Chill.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Thanks, so, all that pounding will produce the right amount of liquid to cover the cabbage in the jars? And if I don;t have widemouth jars, the other jars will work?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
Thanks, so, all that pounding will produce the right amount of liquid to cover the cabbage in the jars? And if I don;t have widemouth jars, the other jars will work?
Yes :) And and any jar will work. Wides are just easier.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I've found that older cabbage from the grocery sometimes needs a bit of extra brine. Fresh juicy cabbages shouldn't need extra brine. I use my potato masher to make mine. It does get a little messy so I just use an extra big bowl.

If you do need extra brine, the ratio I use is: 1 T of salt dissolved in a quart of water. Just add however much you need to cover the cabbage. If you are using ziplock bags for weights, you want to use this brine inside of them so if they leak, they won't water down your cabbage.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
I've found that older cabbage from the grocery sometimes needs a bit of extra brine. Fresh juicy cabbages shouldn't need extra brine. I use my potato masher to make mine. It does get a little messy so I just use an extra big bowl.

If you do need extra brine, the ratio I use is: 1 T of salt dissolved in a quart of water. Just add however much you need to cover the cabbage. If you are using ziplock bags for weights, you want to use this brine inside of them so if they leak, they won't water down your cabbage.
Good to know--thanks!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
framing fowl said:

Good to know--thanks!
Weights are only for the non whey version which takes several weeks :D

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Intriguing thread, my recently deceased Oma made excellent sauerkraut for over 75 years (from her childhood until she went into the care home 9 years ago) and never used anything more than salt and cabbage--what's with the whey and the "pounding"? "Lactic" fermentation doesn't require milk products, it's a natural process :)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moolie said:
Intriguing thread, my recently deceased Oma made excellent sauerkraut for over 75 years (from her childhood until she went into the care home 9 years ago) and never used anything more than salt and cabbage--what's with the whey and the "pounding"? "Lactic" fermentation doesn't require milk products, it's a natural process :)
Its ready in 3 days ;)

Latest posts