NT sauerkraut recipe

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I do just salt and cabbage and let it sit the week :)

Don't pound it either. But yeh, the whey speeds it up :D

Either way works. Just depends, the whey DOES taste different. I think the extra time with salt before I pour on the brine helps it stay crispy, though. No idea if it does :gig

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting, thanks :)

Hubs loves sauerkraut and the time it takes to ferment has never been an issue so I think I'll stick with what I know.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Without the whey, there is a slight risk of spoilage if you don't use a lot of salt. Whey just speeds up the good bacteria and gives it an edge against the bad bacteria.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This is how I pound mine. ;)
333_img_2246.jpg

Sorry but I had to share.

G

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Adorable! And she looks so proud to be helping :)

(What does the pounding do?)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can pound or massage the cabbage. It helps it release its liquid. Im sure there's a term for it.

She's a great helper.

G

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yup, that's exactly how we do it, TanksHill. Your little helper is adorable. During cabbage harvest time we always have two small crocks going all through the summer. Sometimes a dry cabbage head will need a little bit of water to supplement the natural juices but not always. We usually taste-test at about 2 weeks but sometimes it takes 3 or 4 weeks to get good and sour. If I remember correctly there is a old thread here on sour kraut making.

While we're on this topic, I bought 2 little white ceramic glazed crocks in Wallyworld a few months ago for $4 each. They look like maybe 1 gallon size - about 6" inside diameter and 10" tall. I'm sure they are meant to be used as a utensil holder on your counter top. We just happened to have three stainless steel canisters that fit down into the inside of these crocks perfectly. I use one of the canisters, full of water, as a follower to press the cabbage down while fermenting. Works like a dream.

ETA: Do any of you ever put other things in your cabbage? Like carrots or onions or garlic? We do not but I have heard of it.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I agree Abi, I think the whey version tastes a bit different and is mushier. Maybe I let it go too long or something. Now that our house is cooler again, I think I need to throw another batch together and use my new weights!

BB- why wouldn't you use a weight with the whey version? Don't you still have to keep the floaties underneath the brine for the 3 days? Maybe that's why I didn't like the taste of the batch I did with whey. :hu