Nuclear myths and truths

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok so I started talking nuclear power on a different thread and decided it needed its own. I work at a nuclear power plant and have been in the industry since I served in the U.S. Navy on a nuclear powered submarine. I am more than happy to answer questions, debate or whatever about nuclear power. There are currently 103 licensed power generating nuclear power plants in the United States. Two additional units are under construction in Georgia.

Ask away.
Truth is that we are surrounded by naturally occurring radiation. Just 0.005 per cent of the average US annual radiation exposure comes from nuclear power; 100 times less than we get from coal[1], 200 times less than a cross-country trip, and around the same as 1 banana per year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
at the present time with the lowering in costs of wind and solar being dramatic enough it is highly unlikely that nuclear energy will ever be again as cost effective as cleaner alternatives. once there is a recycle system set up for solar panels (already possible, just getting going in many places as enough older panels are finally reaching end of life service times to make it worth) and windmill blades (working on that in progress) there won't really be any good reasons for nuclear at all. considering the foibles of humans i just think the technology is not worth the troubles it introduces. will be a happier world without nuclear weapons too as far as i'm concerned. all that money spent on things that shouldn't ever be used - well also in my opinion that goes for much of the "defense" spending for things that are a mess of wasted materials and opportunities that could be going for healthier people and helping out to fix the damaged planet too.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Around this area - radon is a real issue for some houses. Naturally occurring in the bedrock and enters the house through any cracks in the foundation or basement floor.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
at the present time with the lowering in costs of wind and solar being dramatic enough it is highly unlikely that nuclear energy will ever be again as cost effective as cleaner alternatives. once there is a recycle system set up for solar panels (already possible, just getting going in many places as enough older panels are finally reaching end of life service times to make it worth) and windmill blades (working on that in progress) there won't really be any good reasons for nuclear at all. considering the foibles of humans i just think the technology is not worth the troubles it introduces. will be a happier world without nuclear weapons too as far as i'm concerned. all that money spent on things that shouldn't ever be used - well also in my opinion that goes for much of the "defense" spending for things that are a mess of wasted materials and opportunities that could be going for healthier people and helping out to fix the damaged planet too.
Good read right here

https-blogs-images.forbes.com-michaelshellenberger-files-2018-05-puerto_rico_solar.jpg

"According to cancer biologist David H. Nguyen, PhD, toxic chemicals in solar panels include:
cadmium telluride
copper indium selenide
cadmium gallium (di)selenide
copper indium gallium (di)selenide hexafluoroethane
lead
polyvinyl fluoride
Silicon tetrachloride, a byproduct of producing crystalline silicon, is also highly toxic."

Again I have to ask, what kind of toxic mess are we going to leave for future generations in the name of Clean Energy?

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Truth is that we are surrounded by naturally occurring radiation. Just 0.005 per cent of the average US annual radiation exposure comes from nuclear power; 100 times less than we get from coal[1], 200 times less than a cross-country trip, and around the same as 1 banana per year.

Yep nothing that I know of... that is created in earth is not of earth. The problems seem to occur when we start gathering elements into concentrations, purifiying, mixing, enriching, ... That's when we can start getting into toxic trouble.

For example... Uranium is a naturally occurring element, isn't it? What happens when it's purified? I think we all know the answer to that question.

With regards to "Just 0.005 per cent of the average US annual radiation exposure comes from nuclear power" <--- that's assuming everything is working as I should be. I don't think Fukushima or Chernobyl nor the surrounding areas would agree with your assessment.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As for the comparison of naturally occurring radiation to that from a nuclear plant... I would suggest that those who are in favor of nuclear power, and don't consider it to be a risk.... that... they should invite a nuclear reactor to take up residence in their back yard. so much of the discussion about "safety" of this or that environmental poison is promoted by nimbys.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm not afraid of nuclear power. Was desensitized to it and other disaster risks as a kid.

I grew up 30 miles down river from a nuclear enriching plant. They released contaminated water many times over the years. Many people got sick from that. Mom remembers cousins getting burns on their bodies when they were at the river one summer. Everyone there that day ended up like that. They never admitted to any of this until the early '90. Government oversite of a government owned and run plant was very lax. Cancer rates in the areas around there are very high.

In grade school we went on tours there. I still have my atomic marble.

The teachers did cover nuclear bomb drills a few times when I was in grade school and middle school. Nuclear meltdown as well plus chemical weapons drills in case there was a leak at the army chemical weapons depot outside town. With a major hydroelectric dam in town and cold war era, mostly it was kiss your butt goodbye as there were 3 major targets too close. They did have a plan to bus kids north if there was a chemical leak. Winds blew west to east almost permanently.

They put up electronical signs on the highways when they built the incinerator at the depot to destroy all the mustard gas and such. Basically they were "Danger! Chemical Contamination! Do Not Enter!"

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Back in the 60's we had drills... where we would practice what to do in case of nuclear or other bombs. We were told to hide under our desks, and would practice that. Yeah... that's gonna keep your skin from being melted off during a nuclear attack! One of my neighbors had thyroid cancer, because he was an unwitting experiment that was done on grade school kids: radiated milk. (at least that's what we were told)