Nuclear Reactor Meltdown has Occured

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Mackay said:
So I have been looking at maps that chart the flow of air from Japan that will have radio active material in it.

It is time now to start taking Lugols iodine or potassium iodide tablets... It will be coming to the states,, from Vancouver being first hit then it will move south.
Coals release more radioactive waste than I knew. While yes, it bites that one melted down, remember you're already breathing in tons of it every day :)

Here's another article on coal radiation .

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This page from the BBC news agency is giving continual reports so its easy to tune into

Now they are saying another nuclear plant is at risk of melt down

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-12307698

Just because we breath in radiation all the time does not mean that more is for us is irrevelant.

I would not risk downplaying this situation.

One of the best defenses you can do in our situation in the states is making sure your thyroid is protected. .... and if coal buring releases radiation on a regular basis then even more so.

Some types of radiation are more serious than others and uranium, plutonium and cesium take the cake.

We should be aware that the US has been gearing up to prepare for a surge in construction of nuclear plants.. do a search on "Areva and Idaho" Its a French company who is locating in the US to enrich uranium and manage "spent" nuclear rods, a huge facility in central Idaho.. they plan on doing all this within 150 miles of Yellowstone volcano, and an earthquke active area.. In the 80's there was a quake in the vacinity that dropped the valley floor 12 feet! Once they are up and running then the push will be on to go nuclear big time... so be aware of that and be ready to fight back.

Our last nuclear power plant went on line in 1996.... and people have gone to sleep over the issue and they are not realizing exactly what is going on behind the scenes as the news does not report it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I was reading the information that came with my good iodine last night. It did not say anything about the effects of "unnecessarily" taking it.

It it better to air on the side of caution and take it? I am wondering about the honesty factor in this situation. Japan is playing down the leak and I wonder if the US will admit to it coming our way.

Mackay by looking at the weather model can you tell me when it will hit the west coast?

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am unsure about timing.. from what a friend said yesterday afternoon in about 36 hours..

I would not be concerned about taking potassim iodide for a short period of time,,, even if you have some thyroid issues... but I can't say with Hashimotos disease though...

It is better to start now because you want full saturation of the thryoid...

One reason Japan did fairly well after the H bombs was because most people then were eating upwards of 12 mg of iodine a day in their regular diet.

a new report
http://www.youtube.com/watchfeature=player_embedded&v=MMrMFtPQJq8

there are now reports from earthquake experts that Japan may be in line for a 7. or more over the next few days

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Interesting, the ad at the bottom of the page right now says to wake up your thyroid.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Man. I told my husband, when it was first announced Friday (?) that the reactor's cooling system was gone and it was heating up "but nothing bad could possibly happen, no way could there be any release of radioactivity, let alone a meltdown"... I said that this was the beginning of one of those "grandma's on the roof" stories :/ Especially since the Japanese gov't seems even more prone than *most* gov'ts to that sort of thing.

Even in a worst case scenario I expect we'd mostly ok on this side of the continent, but partly out of caution, partly out of curiosity, and partly out of a renewed attention to the fact that I do live within about 30 minutes of a nuclear reactor (albeit usually-downwind).... those of you who have previously read up on this, are any of the useful forms of iodide ones that are easily available OTC, and if so, as what?

(We used to use Lugol's solution in the lab to stain things, but that was a long time ago for me, no more lab chemicals for me these days :p)

Pat, praying for the souls of those who were lost in the earthquake and tsunami, as well as for the souls of those who had better damn well not be having to join them due to our society's demands for electricity :/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Lugol's iodine from the lab is perfectly fine if it is truely lugols iodine.

OTC iodine is out of the question..no betadine, or provodine

how can I state this so people here?

You need POTASSIUM IODIDE as found in lugols iodine or the potassim iodide tablets you can purchase in the pharmacy

this is nothing new under the sun. Potassium iodide has been part of civil defense kits for 60 years.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Sometime back I had copied some info relating to nuclear emergencies to a word file. I don't remember where it came from, so I'd recommend that you do your homework before even thinking about trusting the info, but here it is anyway as a starting point for your own investigation.

"In an emergency, if no more KI tablets available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine is NEVER to be ingested or swallowed, it is poison to drink.) For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to initial exposure. For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml. For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml. For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don't have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.) If your iodine solution is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly. Absorption through the skin is not as reliable a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most."

We have a reactor that we would be 125 miles downwind of during a normal summer air pattern, so I have KI pills stocked up. As a last resort though, I might be willing to try the above, if only to see us through a bugout.

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Damummis said:
Thanks for the heads up, I didn't even think of that.
http://a12iggymom.wordpress.com/201...nt-tracking-on-jet-stream-data-march-13-2011/
Some more info
Wow this guy says to get as far south as possible and as far east as you can get. Im right on the west coast, with no money to go on a trip. I hope there is no fall-out in the clouds and rain. Because Ill be up a creek without a paddle. Being a mild term for it..

I have watched movies about nucular fall-out. They said to get in a basement and stay there. Covering all windows to the basement with as thick of dirt as possible.. But I dont even know of one person around here that has a basement. Were all toast..

Latest posts