Oat Bread recipe?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I saw one on this forum a while ago, but for the life of me I can't find it! It also had some whole wheat flour if I recall. I'm hoping it call for old fashioned oats, not quick cooking, but I don't remember.

Does anyone remember where this was? I'm ready to move past plain white bread now. :celebrate

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I have these two..

Oatmeal Bread

2 1/4 - 2 1/2 c boiling water
1 c rolled oats
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 T butter
1 T salt
1 T instant yeast
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour

In a large mixing bowl combine the boiling water, oats, sugar, salt, and butter. Stir and then let cool until lukewarm. Add the yeast and flours, stir to form a rough dough. Knead (about 10 minutes by hand, 5 to 7 by machine) until dough is smooth and satiny. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover and let dough rise for about 1 hour; it should double in bulk.

Divide dough in half and shape each half into a loaf. Place the loaves into two greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2-inch bread pans. Cover pans with lightly greased plastic wrap (or a proof cover) and allow the loaves to rise until they've crowned about 1 inch over the rim of the pan, about 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake loaves for 35 to 40 minutes, until golden brown.
---

Oatmeal-Honey Bread

3 c warm water
2 pkg yeast
1/4 c (or more) good local honey
2 c unbleached white flour
2 c whole wheat flour
1/4 c corn oil
3 c old fashioned rolled oats
2 to 3 c whole wheat flour
1 c raw sunflower seeds
2 tsp salt

Mix the warm water with the honey, oil and yeast. Add in the 2 cups white and 2 cups whole wheat flours. Mix well. You can let this rise for 1/2 hour, or continue with the rest of the ingredients.

Now mix in the oats, sunflower seeds, whole wheat flour and salt. Knead into a firm ball. Coat a large bowl with corn oil and place the ball into the bowl. Turn the ball over so it's completely coated with the oil. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm, draft free area for a good hour (or until doubled in size).

Now remove the dough onto a floured board and beat it down. Knead it a bit more. Cut the dough in half to make two loaves. Place into loaf pans. You can also place a ball of dough on a onto a stone or cookie sheet to make old fashioned round loaves. To keep the bread from sticking to the bottom, sprinkle a little corn meal on the bottom before you put the dough in/on. Cover the loaves with a damp towel again and let rise for another hour, or until doubled in size.

Then place loaves into a preheated 350 oven. Bake for about 45 minutes. When the crust turns a nice golden brown, their done. If you take a loaf out of the oven and tap on the top, it should have a hollow sound. After they're done, place them on a wire rack to cool for about an hour before you remove them from the pans. Once cooled a bit, turn the pans upside down. If the loaf doesn't fall out, tap one side of the pan while it's upside down. If it still won't come out, let it cool for another half hour.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oatmeal bread is a good choice for an all whole wheat flour bread. It will be fairly dense, but not as crumbly as it would be without the oatmeal. It makes fantastic toast and french toast!

But consider working up to it with one of the above recipes, where part of the white flour is replaced with whole wheat. Unless, of course, you have tried and liked the "hardcore" version! I do, but not so much for certain things. Love it toasted....mmmmmm! Very rich and hearty.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Aha! That first one is the one I was thinking of, Keljonma! The only thing I have to buy is the whole wheat flour.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:yuckyuck big brown horse ;)

I have an Oatmeal Batter Bread recipe that is pretty good too.

And this is one that is much more than an "oatmeal" bread... delicious, but not to everyone's liking, I've found. Also, I have mixed it up in the bread machine and then baked it on a stone in my oven (because I hate bread baked in the machine).

Bob's Red Mill Best Multi-Grain Bread for the Bread Machine

This great bread uses whole grains to give a satisfying flavor. The recipe was a prize winner at the 2005 Oregon State Fair.

1/4 c steel cut oats
3 T medium grind cornmeal
2 T blackstrap molasses
3 T local honey
2 tsp salt
3 T unsalted butter
1 1/2 c boiling water
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
1 c unbleached white flour
1 c amaranth flour
1/4 c wheat germ
1/2 c brown rice flour
2 T powdered buttermilk
3 T vital wheat gluten
2 T flaxseed meal
1 T poppy seeds
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
2 T cider vinegar (any type of vinegar will work)

Place oats, cornmeal, molasses, honey, salt and butter in the pan of your bread machine. Pour boiling water over the mixture, stirring to prevent lumps. Let rest for 10 minutes. In a separate bowl, blend listed dry ingredients, omitting yeast. Add vinegar to liquid in the bread machine pan and stir. Top with flour mixture. Make a small well in the center and add yeast. Place pan in your bread machine and bake on machines whole-wheat setting (DO NOT use rapid whole-wheat, or unsatisfactory rise will result!). Remove promptly from pan when completed.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION
Assuming the loaf yields 13 slices - Each slice contains Calories 220, Calories from Fat 45, Total Fat 5g, Saturated Fat 2g, Cholesterol 10mg, Sodium 370mg, Total Carbohydrate 38g, Dietary Fiber 4g, Sugars 6g and Protein 7g.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've never seen amaranth flour. Where do you get it or do you make it?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I think Bob's Red Mill sells it. I ordered amaranth seeds last year and grew some, then discovered that there are two types, garden flower and grain versions. Guess which one I grew. Hmmmph. It was pretty, though.

Supposed to be HIGHLY nutritious. Tiny seeds, though. But it would probably grow in areas that grain is difficult to grow. I bet the goats could eat the plants, too. I am storing this info in the back of my brain for future reference. Too many other projects this year!

I do like the idea of adding lots of different grains to one recipe. Covers the problem of anti-nutrients. Hmmm, should start a thread on that....