Oat Bread recipe?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
This isn't really an Oat Bread. It is a white bread with oats in it. I have made it with some whole wheat flour and with bread flour instead of all-purpose.

Hint of Honey Loaves

2 pkgs active dry yeast
1/2 c warm water
2 1/4 c milk, scalded
1/4 c butter, softened
1/3 c honey
2 1/2 tsp salt
6 - 6 1/2 c all-purpose flour
2 c quick or old-fashioned oats, uncooked

Dissolve yeast in water. Set aside. In large bowl, put butter, honey, and salt. Pour milk over ingredients in large bowl. Cool to lukewarm. Add dissolved yeast and oats, mixing well. Stir in enough additional flour to make a soft dough. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead 8 to 10 minutes or until smooth and elastic. Shape to form ball. Place in large greased bowl, turning once to coat surface of dough. Cover; let rise in warm place about 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Punch dough down. Cover and let rest 10 minutes. Divide dough in half; roll out each half to for a 15 x 9 rectangle. Roll up starting with narrow end; press together ends and seam to seal.

Place in two greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pans. (Brush lightly with melted butter, if desired.) Cover; let rise about 45 minutes, or until nearly doubled in size.

Bake in a pre-heated moderate oven (375) about 45 minutes. Remove from pans and let cool on wire racks. Makes 2 loaves

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I make one that has molasses, oats, butter, milk, etc. It is one of my favorite breads. :drool