Obama will be speaking to all the school children of America this week

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
You all might want to pay attention to this...it could be nothing, but it is indeed strange that no one was told about this. He is using the schools to do it, and who really knows what he has to say. The children are apparently going to be prepped for this speach from the president as well. There seem to be some fishy things about this

http://www.examiner.com/x-19823-Pro...s-to-all-the-nations-schoolchildren-is-creepy

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Another link
http://politicaltheatrics.org/2009/09/02/obama-in-the-classroom/

Quoted from this link:

"Unless someone can guide me towards another example I will be making the claim that never has a United States President conducted a broadcasted speech made specifically to be seen live during classroom hours again,I could be wrong but I have yet to find anything online or otherwise to back up a dissenting premise.
I do find many things wrong with this picture,starting with the idea of having a man of political authority giving an orchestrated speech to a group of students who are too young to have the capability to consent to any such an idea of their own free will.
I do not have children myself but I am extremely aware that many parents dread the idea of having other adults speaking to their children when they are not present the next flaw in this political tirade happens to be the fact that the Obama administration has chosen to broadcast the classroom speech for kids during hours where no guardian is present why can this speech not be made in the evening wherein the kids will be home and thus can watch it with their parents on their own accord?

Another great and ghastly problem with this speech is the fact that it is going to be given to children in Kindergarden through 6th grade thus the ages will range from 5 to 12. The ages of these children are pivotal from a psychological standpoint,why? Because this is where a child begins to form his or her own ideas based on situations and directives given to him or her and moreover,if a young child was to see that The President was speaking to them on such a personal level they would lean on not only adhering to all the items he brings forward due to the celebrity-esque nature of Mr.Obama and anyone else with his type of hyped and over-processed aura.

The beginning seems so innocent but if we are to wipe away the glowing surface we may find something more disturbing underneath. I already have an issue with the American public school system,but this new means of innocent and conditioned indoctrination has sufficiently perked my awareness.

I have the following questions,ending my small rant on the issue:

1.Why are the students so young?
2.Who decided to choose these particular student groups and why?
3.Why are parents not being provided with a preview or synopsis of the speech?
4.What made the Obama administration think up such a clever idea while there has never been any documented precedent?
5.Why is the handout adressing what the President wants the students to do and not what the country wishes for them to do?"

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
from wtkr.com general media

WASHINGTON (AP) The White House on Friday dismissed as pointless the furor over President Barack Obama's plan to deliver a televised back-to-school speech to the nation's students.

"I think we've reached a little bit of the silly season when the president of the United States can't tell kids in school to study hard and stay in school," presidential spokesman Robert Gibbs told reporters. "I think both political parties agree that the dropout rate is something that threatens our long-term economic success."

Obama's planned address to students has prompted a surprising push-back from some quarters over what the White House sees as an important but innocuous topic.

Some conservative critics say Obama is trying to promote a political agenda and overstepping his bounds, taking the federal government too far into public school business.

Republican Gov. Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota, a potential presidential contender in 2012, said Obama's speech is "uninvited" and that the president's move raises questions of content and motive.

Many school districts have decided not to show Obama's speech, to be delivered at 12 noon EDT Tuesday, partly in response to concerns from parents.

Randi Weingarten, president of the American Federation of Teachers, on Friday defended Obama's plan to address students.

"The bottom line is we need the president of the United States of America to use his bully pulpit to talk to kids about the importance of education and to help inspire kids," she said on "The John Gambling Show" on radio station WOR NewsTalk Radio 710 in New York.

Gibbs said former Republican presidents Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush delivered similar speeches to students. He said Obama's speech will not be partisan but rather a chance for children to get "a little encouragement as they start the school year."

The White House spokesman said he couldn't speak to the motivations of some school districts.

"Look, there are some school districts that won't let you read 'Huckleberry Finn,' " Gibbs said.

He said the administration understands that some districts have logistical concerns with the timing of Obama's speech.

The White House plans to release the speech online Monday so parents can read it. Obama will deliver the speech at Wakefield High School in Arlington, Va.

___

Associated Press writer Marcus Franklin in New York contributed to this report.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
There was a thread about this on BYC the other day. It got shut down.. So be careful?

Reaction score
Well Lets see. What could the boogey man President say to our poor little helpless children that is any worse than what a teacher might say.

The answer is nothing. This is the most ridiculous load of cow manure I've ever heard come out of the right wing. Obama actually is interested in the children of our country getting an education. All this partisan garbage is ridiculous. When I was 6 I along with my fellow classmates and our parents would have been thrilled at and address to the children of the US. It's called patriotism. What kind of alternate universe are these people living in?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I do find many things wrong with this picture,starting with the idea of having a man of political authority giving an orchestrated speech to a group of students who are too young to have the capability to consent to any such an idea of their own free will.
One has to be an adult and "consent of one's own free will" to hear an elected official talk???

I do not have children myself but I am extremely aware that many parents dread the idea of having other adults speaking to their children when they are not present the next flaw in this political tirade happens to be the fact that the Obama administration has chosen to broadcast the classroom speech for kids during hours where no guardian is present
Oh yes. People have been horrified for YEARS AND YEARS at having Mister Firefighter come into the school and conduct a fire safety assembly. Imagine, without legal guardians present! And when I was a kid, most years we had an assembly where this person came in with a macaw and python and a coupla trained poodles, boy howdy did THEY ever brainwash me, and weren't everybody's parents up in arms about *that*!!

Oh, no, wait... they weren't. Silly me.

Then there's the nutrition and dental hygeine person who comes to Early Years and speaks to the kids (mine included), and I disagree considerably with some of the things she says -- how dare she say anything I have not approved in advance! My kids will be warped for life! Brainwashed! Taken from me to the dark side! By a 45 minute talk each year by the nutrition and teeth lady! The horror!

Sheez.

1.Why are the students so young?
Well, elementary school students ARE young. That is sort of the point of it. If you are going to try to interest elementary school students in civics and make them think (ha ha) that they should have some attention towards the way the country works and the fact that even at a young age they are beginning to be PART of the country, then yes, they will be that age.

I suppose one could take the view that kids should not be encouraged to think about government, or to be interested enough to pay attention and take part, and to do what they can to learn about the state of the world and what they might do to help the world go along better...

...but, unless you're *arguing* that, I can't see why a local politican, or state senator, or the president of the United States, should not be allowed (or in fact, encouraged) to every so rarely actually acknowledge children to their face, and speak directly to them.

3.Why are parents not being provided with a preview or synopsis of the speech?
See above re: Mister Firefighter et al.

4.What made the Obama administration think up such a clever idea while there has never been any documented precedent?
That's right, if it hasn't always been done, it must never ever be done for the first time. <scratching head>

5.Why is the handout adressing what the President wants the students to do and not what the country wishes for them to do?"
Because there is no "the country" with a single monolithic wish. And you know, if it was the other way 'round, with things coming out of the president's mouth as "the country wants you to..." the same people would be complaining JUST as loudly, since not every living person *in* the country wants the same thing.

Man oh man.

Although, I have to say, if this sort of thing is all that people can find to be all hysterical and conspiracy-theory-floating about, then that would seem to be a fairly sound endorsement of his administration, in a way ;)

Pat

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Hey! I have an idea! Lets all read the 20 some pages that talk about this on BYC! Then maybe we can all get this out of our system. I stopped at pg. 16. Got too boring.

Reaction score
Blackbird said:
Hey! I have an idea! Lets all read the 20 some pages that talk about this on BYC! Then maybe we can all get this out of our system. I stopped at pg. 16. Got too boring.
I can't I'm still on time out.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Big Daddy said:
Blackbird said:
I can't I'm still on time out.
Were you a bad boy on BYC?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Reminds me of being forced to watch the world series during PE in junior high.