October Crazy-Hip Replacement

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
October has started with more than the usual amount of crazy that goes on in our lives. BJ is scheduled for hip replacement October 14 and is counting down. He is in pain, lurching around and very unhappy at being sidelined. The good news is that the doctor said that his recovery won't be near what it was for knee and shoulder replacement. That is good news, he will be able to get back in the swing of things sooner.

I had 45 Cornish Cross chickens, 15 were two weeks older. Slaughter date was NOW for the older CCX. I had 7 old laying hens to slaughter to make way for the 9 new pullets. So I called Neighbor Ron, offered him the laying hens for the freezer if he would come help slaughter them. He was happy to do so and we got them on their way to freezer camp at his house. I had given him 5 of the Cornish Cross chicks to raise and promised to help him slaughter them, so we did them next. I did this to teach him how to raise his own meat, he and his wife are both on disability.

I had also promised Neighbor Russell 10 CCX in trade for him keeping and feeding the steer we bought from him until the pigs went to slaughter. So Ron said he would help slaughter 5 of those too. We got'er done! I had 5 to do for Neighbor Robert and still 5 to do for Russell. When Robert was supposed to come over to help butcher his, workmen showed up to do a job he had waited for weeks to get done, so BJ and I did it, plus 1 more of Russell's. Then yesterday we did the last 4 of Russell's and got them delivered to their freezer. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I picked 280 jalapenos from 6 plants. My pig customer wanted canned jalapeno slices plus 5 dozen fresh for poppers, so I canned 7 quarts of jalapeno slices and picked out 6 dozen for poppers, delivered the same day. Plus I did 4 loads of laundry, I was on a roll. BJ asked where I was getting all that energy and I told him I thought I was just so happy it wasn't slaughtering chickens! Whew! I can take a breather now.

October 7, BJ goes for pre-registration, then a lunch that they provide, followed by a class on joint replacement. That sounds like an all day long appointment.

October 9, we meet DD halfway to pick up the 3 grand daughters, then meet again October 12 to return them. BJ gets a day to recover before going to surgery. Doctor says that he will be up and on his feet just hours after surgery and can go home the next day.

About the time he goes to surgery is when I need to butcher the remaining CCX. I may be a week or two late on that.......

Yesterday, I caught Sheba and Sentry chasing and mauling the 9 pullets. I got to them before they killed any, but 2 of the pullets were laying still in shock. I held them and revived the poor things. In the meantime, I locked Sheba and Sentry in the coop and the wrath of Hades descended upon them. I rolled up a paper feed sack and beat the crap out of both of them. Between my screaming, cussing and more screaming and their yelping like I poured hot boiling oil over them, we made quite a noise. I locked them both in a small pen after that and fed them there too. They usually come in the house every evening to eat, their privileges have been revoked. They are on lockdown and will attend the Class Of Non-Chicken Chasing until I am satisfied they have learned better and mended their evil ways.

We went through a pack upheaval several months ago, the recipients of all that was the guineas. The dogs whittled them down to 1, plus Robert's that flew over here to escape a snake. Boy, that was a dumb move! I never could catch the dogs killing the guineas, I did catch then chasing a few times and all were soundly scolded. Well THAT didn't do any good. Sentry was always curiously absent when I found yet another dead guinea. Sneaky little bastard. Sheba would chase and was a clueless dummy when scolded. So yesterday, catching them both in the act was a good thing. I did catch Trip with 2 in the same day and went ballistic on him, like I never have. He spent 3 weeks locked up in the back yard and came out, deciding killing guineas wasn't so much fun after all.

Sentry is the little kid that convinces all the other neighbor kids to throw eggs at cars, then hightails it home before the cops show up, leaving his cohorts in crime to take the heat. Catching him yesterday was vastly satisfying. Haha, gotcha' NOW!

I need to get outside, do chores, and turn the sheep in the garden for fall clean up.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
"rolled up a paper feed sack and beat the crap out of both of them. Between my screaming, cussing and more screaming and their yelping like I poured hot boiling oil over them, we made quite a noise. I locked them both in a small pen after that and fed them there too" <--- 😍

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There must be something in the air - Belle got a chicken a week or so ago and she got the "whoop-a$$" treatment too. I saw her lunge after one a couple days later and after I reminded her of what happened to her the last time she went chicken hunting and she changed her mind, lol.

Prayers for BJ's upcoming surgery. I know you both will be glad to get it behind him!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today was nice. My greatest achievement was calling the sheep to the garden. We are taking it easy today and tomorrow before the next wave of crazy.

LOL I did give Sentry and Sheba a chicken lesson. I clipped a leash on each one, took to the scene of the crime, pushed them in the coop and repeated the process until they were screaming. I guess tomorrow I'll tell them both that I still love them. Sentry is very cowed down. That's good, he needs to know that I am angry. I thought about my punishment methods and figured I was ok. In the dog world, the Alpha Bitch would rip him a new one, biting him. I don't particularly want dog hair in my mouth.

I swear Sheba had a lobotomy or something. I scold and she just gives me a goofy look. She just doesn't get it until I come unwound, even catching her in the act.
Stubborn-----yup
Brilliant-------yup
Sweet--------yup
goofy--------yup
top dog-----nope--that would be me

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I swear Sheba had a lobotomy or something. I scold and she just gives me a goofy look. She just doesn't get it until I come unwound, even catching her in the act.
Stubborn-----yup
Brilliant-------yup
Sweet--------yup
goofy--------yup
top dog-----nope--that would be me
Sheba better get with the program! So far - Belle's one ripping has worked....but since I have no idea how many chicken I really have - she could be gettin' em and disposing of 'em and I'd never know, lol.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was told that Sheba would be a special challenge LOL. She is strong minded, independent and so darned awesome! I have the patience of Job, most of the time I am kind and gentle, but when needed I make sure a bad transgression meets a punishment to remember. I'll keep plugging away, she is a puppy and needs repeat, repeat, repeat......until that lightbulb comes on and all of a sudden, everything I've been teaching her makes sense. She is a delight and a joy in our lives.

Sheba better get with the program! So far - Belle's one ripping has worked....but since I have no idea how many chicken I really have - she could be gettin' em and disposing of 'em and I'd never know, lol.
Haha, sometimes we just have to be a mean ol' witch to our puppies. Ever correct a puppy, then have to go to another room to laugh?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No doubt you'll whip her into shape, lol.

I think both of our puppies are close enough in age that they are going through their terrible teenage time. They'll get through it....but they might make us pull our hair out in the interim, lol. Cowboy doesn't let Belle get away with much, but he's busy watching the goats more than he watches her - so she does pull a few fast ones, lol!

Last edited:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow morning we have to be at the hospital office at 7:30 AM for pre registration, lunch, then a joint replacement class.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today we went to the pre-registration and a joint replacement class. It took most of the day, but now we just walk in on surgery day and hand them a slip of paper. It's done.

There was a young man, 41 years old, having hip replacement also. He used a walking stick, lurched from side to side and was in obvious pain. Me being the big mouth that I am, told him that he looked too young to be in such bad shape, what did he do to himself. :lol: He said being a rodeo bull rider and jumping off roofs when he was a home builder. Yep, that'll do it.