Odd one out urban farm- $25,000 fine for having animals in my yard!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I am sorry you're dealing with a complaining neighbor. And sorry that your ducks had to leave. :(

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Your blonde haired blue eyed boy with the bright face reminds me of mine. Good for you doing an urban farm!

How in the world can they control rabbits? On what grounds? That they wiggle their noeses to loudly?

We never got to do all that when we lived in the city and it will be so great for your kids... we were always in the mode of getting a house ready to sell... but now at long last we have arrived.

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackay said:
How in the world can they control rabbits? On what grounds? That they wiggle their noeses to loudly?
Our city is quite backwards, I can own a croc or a monitor but a duck is illegal! Looks like we might have a few more litters,I'm sick so I got my kids with dh's help to bring them in , I figured he would know that the male must stay in his crate, girls as they get along stay together, the male was put in with girls oops! 3 girls x 5 babies min ouch;)

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today we got a letter from bylaw that said i must remove my chickens and coop from my backyard this is the "coop", by looking at it anyone with a hint of a brain would know it isn't safe nor a good shelter for southern Ontario, they don't even have wind protection! Now I must chicken proof my gardens:
cage016.jpg

cage006.jpg

cage014.jpg

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I offically give up, they can eat my brains! Today we got a humane society note stating our dogs were loose. The only time our dogs get out is when we are out and we quickly bring them in the yard. Geeze I give up, constant calls to cps,humane society, the cops,bylaw! I hate living here and feel like I'm just waiting for a call! The upside i bought a cherry tree;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I posted in my journal about my German Shepherd. We went on vacation last week and my adult son who lives next door was caring for him. He got out. (He was on a leash and harness and in a fenced yard, but when we are gone he goes looking for us.) Some people were walking down the road and he snuck up and bit one in the butt. Nothing too damaging - just a pinch. Now of course he is in Dog Pound lock up for 10 days and we MUST find him a new home or have him put to sleep. He is 4 1/2 years old, purebred, neutered and just basically a goofy anxious goober of a dog. Because we live in this FREAKING city he will probably have to die. All because people are SO close in that the dog can not understand that his property line ends 20 feet outside of his front door.

I am sick of the city. Sick of other people always up in your business. Sick of all of the confinement and all of the ridiculous rules. Sister I am with you on this one!! BIG TIME!!

dntd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
That really sucks about your dog:( My dog is seen in the front yard as he rarely leaves my DD's side. he's just a pup only 6 months. Recently the jerk nieghbors called the cops on me 2 times, once when I yelled for the kids to come home and another when I yelled at my son to get off my porch, the lady then called children services to tell them about the calls, then the children services couldn't find any police report because the lady was crazy! I mean I'm getting picked on weekly. This weekend I'm chicken proofing my garden and making the "coop" back into a shed it was in the first place. next week building a wood fence if all goes well:)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
You need to begin documenting the calls, reports and investigations. Try to also get documentation on WHO is doing the reporting.

My D1 lives next to a nasty lady that calls several times a year for SOMETHING. My D1 bought the house from my dad and when I was a kid this SAME woman was always reporting something to someone. Before she moved in all was peaceful and quiet. The house my D1 lives in is on acreage, far away from the road, with only ONE close neighbor and guess who THAT is.

If my parents had been documenting, like I suggest you do, we could have STOPPED this years ago by suing her with harassment charges. We always TRIED to be nice to her hoping it would change, but for the last 30 years she has been a consistent problem. Her hubby died right before my D1 bought the place. We always had thought HE was the Crackpot... Sadly we were wrong.

It is pretty bad when you have to hope your elderly neighbor will move or die just so you can live peacefully in your own home.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Maybe you should call the cops and discuss with them that you are being harrassed by your neighbours. If they have on record that you are having issues, they will have a record of your discussion and keep thtat in mind if the annoying neighbours ever call again. I would try just to enlighten the cops to the situation.