Office Visit Fee

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OK----I hate to pay "office visit fees" big time.

WHY?

who are ya kidding....maybe a fee for the "first visit" to get paperwork in order, ok I can see that..........but the fees after. I gotta bring this pup to the vet 5 more times for pup boost shoots.

OK....initial office visit charge was (get this) $45 (I did fill out his paperwork but geez ya know)

any visits after for her to be his vet is $30 per visit FOR WHAT!!!!!!!!!!
$30 for "an eyeball exam" each and every time I go to the vet...yea like they are going to see something different than what I came in there for ya know lol

same with a real doctor visit for people....what the? initial charge for medical paperwork, sure.....but after???? I gotta pay this charge each time???

just ranting...ticks me off LOL LOL

I don't know....everyone wants my money and it is getting so expensive to do anything out there ---even for a mutt LOL

oh well..............

what other "fees" do ya hate paying over and over again and feel like you are getting screwed (and sure not enjoying it?) :lol:

well, just wanted to rant a bit on that cause it is getting on my nerves :celebrate

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I'm with you on that!! :lol:

At least at the Humane Society, where we take one of our cats and the dog, they have an assistant do the shots and it is a lot cheaper!!

I mean $45 or so just to walk through the door is crazy. You know they'll get you for $100 by the time you walk out the door, even if you just went in for an annual checkup :rolleyes:
Oh and if something is wrong....they want you to do tests and x rays and surgeries and special food and vitamis and shampoos and list goes on. DD hardly ever leaves the vet without paying at least $400. The vet plays on her guilt and gets her to buy into all kinds of crap. :he

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Our vet charges $17 for the visit. We recently had another dog dropped off at our home (the only thing that I hate about living on this secluded road). We took it to our Vet to get him checked out physically, tested for heart worms and got him current on shots. Including a refill of medicine for our oldest dog, the bill was $60. No small amount, but nowhere near what most charge.

Anyone want healthy, vaccinated, young dog?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
For vets, I am not sure what the big issue is? Should they not get paid for their time, do they not have salaries and electric bills and rent/mortgage to pay? If they only charged for supplies and services (pills, ointment, xrays, anesthesia, etc) how could they stay afloat, unless those things were priced wayyyy up to cover salaries and operating expenses?

For people-doctors it is more complicated because there is almost always an insurance company involved. But it still boils down to the same basic issues, although there is likely also some 'luxury padding' in there too since I know a number of very well off MDs and hardly any very well off vets :p

Pat

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
For vets, I am not sure what the big issue is? Should they not get paid for their time, do they not have salaries and electric bills and rent/mortgage to pay? If they only charged for supplies and services (pills, ointment, xrays, anesthesia, etc) how could they stay afloat, unless those things were priced wayyyy up to cover salaries and operating expenses?

For people-doctors it is more complicated because there is almost always an insurance company involved. But it still boils down to the same basic issues, although there is likely also some 'luxury padding' in there too since I know a number of very well off MDs and hardly any very well off vets :p

Pat
What she said. :thumbsup

Our Vet (actually a husband and wife team) has at least 4 to 6 people on staff at the office at any given time. They have a nice comfortable building and I'm sure, as with any business, that their liability insurance alone is quite a bit. They certainly are not well off, by MD standards. They are good people that love animals, and they are trying to run a business. If they weren't out here in rural Arkansas, their expenses and what they would have to charge, would both be greater.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

Pat
Yep!! I don't mind paying for their time. I don't think I get anything quality out of a people doctor so I just don't go. If I'm sick enough to go, I'll pay for their time.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know a few well off vets LOL
they make big money here....we are pet loaded in my area and yes, I know they do very well. But of course, like you said, they have expenses.

BUT what I don't understand is the big charge for the visit. I come to get one shot. One pup booster. Price $20.99 and then $30 on top.

FOR WHAT?? I don't even ask a question LOL I do understand some people go and get that one shot and ASK a million vet related questions.....well I sure don't use up there time that way so I do get annoyed I have to pay LOL

My horse vet is a millionaire. Know that for a fact cause around here there is not other big animal vets left. Thank goodness Doc Martin is here and his barn call---his barn call to my house, he drives here, is only $40. Yup....I drive the mutt to the vet and pay $45 BUT my horse vet comes to my barn and I pay $40

go figure

it is the padding part I don't like. Yea I would not mind paying $20 for an office visit for a pet, but $45. Robbery truly

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Our animals get the same quality of care we get.

My cat Cookie has been to the vet twice. The first time she got spayed and shots ($40). The second time she had her toes amputated when a claw got dislocated and infected ($85). She is 21.

I was at the doctor at the doctor 21 years ago when I had my youngest son and once after that when I fractured my arm.

Other than that if it aint broke, we don't fix it.

Well check ups are pretty useless. The vet isn't going to pick something up in 5 minutes that you wont notice having the animal under foot 24/7.

ksalvagno

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hey, yours is cheap. My vet office visit is $45. They do give discounts for multiple animals so all the dogs go in at the same time.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My farm vet charges $75 for a farm call, so count your blessings :lol:

My small animal vet is $32 for an office visit, but I must say they are the best vets in town. I think generally you'll find that low office visits = nickel and dime you in other ways .
We have a nasty local vet - lowest costs in town. They told a vet friend of mine "our clients come to us because we are inexpensive, they don't want a bunch of tests and exams so we treat symptoms" (this after a dog presented with persistent vomiting and a history of eating foreign objects - no x-rays, etc)