Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

• Growing my own vegetables

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Growing my own fruits

• Growing my own fruits and vegetables

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Raising my own meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canning my own food

• Preserving food

• Making soap or household cleaners

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Start your own income-generating activities

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been planning to buy a pressure canner for a couple of years, but haven't done it yet. This year will definitely be the year. Also, I make a lot of things from scratch, but bread isn't one of them, and that's going to change this year too. Got a nice bread board for Christmas!
Whats a bread board and where can I get one? My counter sucks since the previous owner/renter put CONTACT PAPER down to cover some stains.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Whats a bread board and where can I get one? My counter sucks since the previous owner/renter put CONTACT PAPER down to cover some stains.
Go to Walmart and buy Goo Gone. It will get the glue from the contact paper off your counter.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go to Walmart and buy Goo Gone. It will get the glue from the contact paper off your counter.
I haven't pulled the paper off it's peeling in pieces on its own. We're just goin to suck it up and get new counters. My preference is butcher block counters but I'm pretty sure my DH wants the Formica stuff yuk

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Best thing I've found for getting glue off of stuff is vegetable shortening. Put a heavy coating on, then let it sit for about 10 minutes.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We are going to erect a greenhouse. We bought a Sunshine Gardenhouse 8 x 16 Mt Rainier last year, but ran out of time to get it set up. So, we'll start working on it soon.

mtrainier.jpg

Last edited:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would love to get a few pigs that I could have slaughtered at the end of the season for fresh pork, but I think that is a year or two down the line. Right now, I buy grass fed pork from a local farm. Best pork I ever had! I could never go back to buying store bought again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
And, I'd love to have a green/screenhouse. Don't really need a green house where I'm at - but a screen house to keep the stinkin' stinkbugs offa my tomatoes would be awesome. I need to get started on that project real soon.

I can't wait to taste some home grown mostly grass fed pork. I'm giving them a little grain while they're young and growing, but as soon as they go out to pasture I hope they can maintain good condition on grass.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've got American Guinea Hogs. We've raised typical feeders hogs before...mostly hamp crosses and they grew well on lots of feed, but the guinea hogs are supposed to be able to grow and mature, albeit slower, on pasture.

I bought two young males and then found a sow with two babies (one male, one female), so I have 5 right now. Plan will be to eat one of the males and either sell or eat the other extra male leaving myself with a breeding trio.