Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

Official Poll : What project are you planning to start this 2016?

• Growing my own vegetables

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Growing my own fruits

• Growing my own fruits and vegetables

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Raising my own meat

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canning my own food

• Preserving food

• Making soap or household cleaners

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Start your own income-generating activities

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Others (Please specify)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. I have looked at this breed, along with Kunekunes, but I have time to make up my mind.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I am currently doing everything on the list and have for many, many years, though I no longer do the "generate an income" thingy from any of my projects...used to, though.

Sort of new but I've had them before, but hope to get into bees and rabbits again this year if the Lord wills it. I'm praying about it and asking Him to provide the resources if He wants me to pursue that. If I do bees it will be in a long box top bar hybrid hive of my own making and I'll be tractoring the rabbits but will not be feeding traditional pelleted rabbit feed. Hoping to can some of the offspring but feed most to the dogs as part of a healthier diet.

Also going to plan for and plant for a four season harvest this coming garden season...that's something I've never really done but am going to try.

Also going to dehydrate more veggies this year, especially onions, garlic and maters. Will likely do in large volume in a home made solar dehydrator.

Trying a little adjustment to my breeding pen nests this year, going back to all natural nesting sites and pushing the broody threshold to see if I can get my breeders to just mate, lay a clutch and brood like they would in a natural setting. Should be interesting.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Also going to plan for and plant for a four season harvest this coming garden season...that's something I've never really done but am going to try."

Can you explain this a little more? Thanks.

PS...Sorry about the quote formatting. I did click "quote", but nothing happened. :hu

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
"Also going to plan for and plant for a four season harvest this coming garden season...that's something I've never really done but am going to try."

PS...Sorry about the quote formatting. I did click "quote", but nothing happened. :hu

Next time, try clicking the Reply "button" on the right side, under the signature line. The quote is for when you want to quote more than one person.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score

To use the quote function here, just click the quote as per usual and then, when you go to the box to write your message, you'll see a button on the bottom left that says "insert quote" and hit it. Should put your quote right in your post.

A four season harvest refers to planting cold hardy crops in Aug/Sept so they can reach maturity during the fall, then protecting them from freezing during the winter time by using high or low tunnels, field houses, row covers, etc. It's sort of using the garden all winter as a big crisper drawer for fresh greens, root crops and some brassicas.

So, as you are harvesting your regular crops in the garden in the summer time, you're also planting crops to harvest in the winter months. In the early spring you are planting the same cold hardy crops for a late spring harvest of the same. Then the summer crops planted in spring start to bear, then you just keep that going indefinitely. That way your garden is being used for growing/storing fresh food all year round.

I've never gone that far in my gardening but plan to do so this year. Usually I just plant early spring crops, then the regular crops of veggies that are not cold hardy and finish by fall.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With some things -- especially root crops -- a really heavy mulch will work instead of row covers. Far North, where ground freeze is several inches, you need more. But you have leaves that make really good mulch for this. Some crops can be kept in a cellar by just putting them into slightly moist sand.....similar to the heavy mulch outside...the plant stays alive, almost dormant, and maintains pretty well. I'm feeding turnips to my pigs & chickens that were planted last year & spent winter in ground. Some are getting a little pithy but, only a very few has bad spots. These were not even mulched! Our winter has been fairly mild but, no consideration for preserving them was made. A neighbor gave them to me for pulling them up. About 15 bushel.

Had these had heavy leaves thrown over them, probably would still be excellent condition. Those & angel beets are being planted here for winter fodder for next year, with only mulch to help preserve. Carrots & potatoes will do same.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Next time, try clicking the Reply "button" on the right side, under the signature line. The quote is for when you want to quote more than one person.

Yes, that works. Thanks! I am new to this Xenforo forum software.

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
To use the quote function here, just click the quote as per usual and then, when you go to the box to write your message, you'll see a button on the bottom left that says "insert quote" and hit it. Should put your quote right in your post.

A four season harvest refers to planting cold hardy crops in Aug/Sept so they can reach maturity during the fall, then protecting them from freezing during the winter time by using high or low tunnels, field houses, row covers, etc. It's sort of using the garden all winter as a big crisper drawer for fresh greens, root crops and some brassicas.

So, as you are harvesting your regular crops in the garden in the summer time, you're also planting crops to harvest in the winter months. In the early spring you are planting the same cold hardy crops for a late spring harvest of the same. Then the summer crops planted in spring start to bear, then you just keep that going indefinitely. That way your garden is being used for growing/storing fresh food all year round.

I've never gone that far in my gardening but plan to do so this year. Usually I just plant early spring crops, then the regular crops of veggies that are not cold hardy and finish by fall.

Thanks for that explanation. You will have to let us know how that works for you since it is a new venture for you.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's not on the list, but we just had a barn built. It's 36'x36' clothed in bright shiny new tin. We will build stalls and close in 2 spaces for a feed, tack and store room.

Haven't planted fruit trees yet, things keep happening. Now is the time to get started. DH just had knee replacement surgery and will start therapy in a couple of days. The pigs go to slaughter March 18 and then I've got to get busy in the garden.

ChickenMomma91

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's not on the list, but we just had a barn built. It's 36'x36' clothed in bright shiny new tin. We will build stalls and close in 2 spaces for a feed, tack and store room.

Haven't planted fruit trees yet, things keep happening. Now is the time to get started. DH just had knee replacement surgery and will start therapy in a couple of days. The pigs go to slaughter March 18 and then I've got to get busy in the garden.
I hope your husbands recovery is a speedy one :)