Official Poll: What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

• arnica drops and spray for achy spots/bruises

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • chamomile for anxiety

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Honey, onion and garlic syrup for cough

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Aloe Vera gel for insect bites

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • cinnamon used to gently reduce congestion and phlegm in the lungs, and dry up runny noses

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Cloves to calm bloating and flatulence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ginger for ausea and digestive complaints

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Others (please specify)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use a salt bar in summer or if I'm out doing a lot of work. That's the only time my pits smell sour. I'm super sensitive to the smell. I notice it before hubby ever does and will wash.

Most of the year I don't use anything. My pits quit smelling really nasty long ago. I don't sweat a quarter as much since I stopped using antiperspirant. I had started getting a reaction to the only brand and scent I could tolerate.

It did take a couple years for my body to balance out.

Both Mom and Grandma always did say that anything that's just a deodorant is worthless and just mixing perfume with stink. They were farmers when Mom was growing up and just accepted that you stink in the field but shower at the end of the day or before going into town.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I use a salt bar in summer or if I'm out doing a lot of work. That's the only time my pits smell sour. I'm super sensitive to the smell. I notice it before hubby ever does and will wash.

Most of the year I don't use anything. My pits quit smelling really nasty long ago. I don't sweat a quarter as much since I stopped using antiperspirant. I had started getting a reaction to the only brand and scent I could tolerate.

It did take a couple years for my body to balance out.

Both Mom and Grandma always did say that anything that's just a deodorant is worthless and just mixing perfume with stink. They were farmers when Mom was growing up and just accepted that you stink in the field but shower at the end of the day or before going into town.

yeah, if i'm working outside i expect it's going to be fragrant around me. Mom calls me the Gentle Cloud as a joke. remember Pigpen from Peanuts? :) this time of the year it is much easier in that sense. :)

i have a Crystal Stick (alum i think it is) which works ok if i'm expecting to be around people, but i've been trying to avoid everything as much as i can recently because of rashes or itches and i just wanted to see if something different would work instead, which is why i'm happy that the aloe vera gel and ACV seems to do ok.

i've not used anti-perspirants for 20yrs or more. if it didn't come out under the arms it seemed to come out of the feet and hands instead.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plantain works well for stings. Vinegar works well for nettle stings. Especially when in shorts and sandles, you walked 20 feet through what you thought was just grass and comfrey, only to learn it was mostly nettles that had come up. I had some quality time with a gallon of vinegar to stop that pain.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never tried vinegar for that. I harvest nettle regularly for tea and invariably I get a few stings, so next time I will try the vinegar. ACV or does any type work?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never tried vinegar for that. I harvest nettle regularly for tea and invariably I get a few stings, so next time I will try the vinegar. ACV or does any type work?

I just grabbed the white vinegar since it was in the bathroom and I use it for cleaning. The only ACV I have is the Braggs stuff in small bottles for consumption. Apparently Mom knew that vinegar worked because Grandma always used it when she was growing up and they'd get into nettles in the field on accident.

I love steamed nettles. Just a bit of butter on them and I'm happy.

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thyme and rosemary! I discovered their healing benefits last fall when I came down with some awful skin rashes. Nothing OTC seemed to touch them, so I started experimenting with other things. I did some research on herbal remedies, and as I was already growing thyme and rosemary, I made a batch each of steeped herbs. I would apply the cooled liquid every time I went to the ladies room. It took a while to heal, but they healed. Now I grow extra containers of those herbs.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
For immediate, in-the-field relief of stinging nettle crush some Jewel Weed and rub it on the stings. Jewel Weed usually grows right next to stinging nettle - I have only seen one nettle patch without any jewelweed growing right next to it and that is in my yard. :\
It is also called Touch-Me-Not. That name comes from when the ripe seed pods are lightly touched the seeds explode outward.

Latest posts