Official Poll: What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

What's your favorite/most useful natural remedy?

• arnica drops and spray for achy spots/bruises

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • chamomile for anxiety

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Honey, onion and garlic syrup for cough

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Aloe Vera gel for insect bites

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • cinnamon used to gently reduce congestion and phlegm in the lungs, and dry up runny noses

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Cloves to calm bloating and flatulence

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ginger for ausea and digestive complaints

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Others (please specify)

Votes: 14 48.3%

• Total voters

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Burns-honey. Honey is very healing.

Bleeding cuts-spider web. If you get a cut and can't stop the bleeding, get a cobweb and lay in the cut. Bleeding will stop. Yes, you still have to keep cobwebs brushed down as they are extremely flammable, but leave a few. You never know when you might need them.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
With all the pollen the sinus cavities are getting exposed to crap not normally there. I will sure try the castor oil! But I hope to do it before I get as bad as you were.

Hope all goes well for you for a while...:hugs

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Went online to check medicinal benefits of castor oil. Anti inflammatory, among other things, & they suggested a few drops into a bowl of steaming water, towel over head and breath the steam for a few minutes. I've always used a hot, steamy shower for helping with nasal discomfort but this helps further it would seem.

Also, aloe vera & castor oil for bug bites. It isn't the best smelling oil, so no self respecting bug would come near if you just applied it here & there. They say castor oil is great for acne, styes (careful of eyes), etc. A good "one bottle" helper. Right next to aspirin in the prepper stock.

YoteMeadows

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My "other " is tea tree oil and coconut oil (unrefined). Not local, but it works great on skin issues. I have freakishly sensitive skin on my legs to where even unscented eczema lotions burn, but the coconut oil does not. Cleared up some acne with the tea tree oil and we use it on cuts, etc. A combo of the two mixed helped my dad with a skin issue that not even antibiotics would help. We use tea tree oil on everything except the dogs (tea tree + dogs = vet bills..it's toxic for them). Great ideas in this thread!
*edited to add that I have a friend who uses comfrey compresses for any bruises she gets. (And she gets them a lot)

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
that's cool! I bought the Sawyer B4 Extractor Pump to deal with spider bites but it's nice to know other methods if for some reason the pump was unavailable or not working.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I guess my favorites that weren't already mentioned are using ammonia for mosquito bites (it works fabulously!), witchhazel for inflammation, bruises, cleaning the face...), ACV for all kinds of things (soaking pesticides off store-bought berries and veggies, burns, and in chickens/pets' water), cornstarch for heat rash and diaper rash, and the inside lining of eggshells for pulling poison out of spider bites and other inflamed sores...

MMD is spot on with ammonia. It worked wonder on my chigger bites. I've also used it on tick bites with great success. It seems to pull out the puss and dry the bite out. I finish off with triple antibiotic ointment to finish healing so the bit doesn't get infected.

Last edited:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of natural remedies since I don't really take meds. But one thing I have found very useful is to take a handful of birch leaves, simmer them for 5-10 minutes in a cup of water, then strain. If I get poison ivy, it helps tremendously w/the itching.