Official SS Goat Thread

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
We have 3 intact does that are babies and one older "herd mama" that cannot be bred (neurological disorder). We are waiting for one more doe to kid and if she has a female we will be getting one of hers as well. Hubby really wants this little one, he really took to her. She is beautiful, great conformation and milking lines, wonderful coloring, just small. She may need to wait to be bred longer to make sure she reaches full size. We will just have to wait and see. I really don't need another goat with problems....it would be like having a field full of wethers. I wanted dairy goats for a reason....production. The older doe is kind of like a mama to the rest of our younger goats and she really is a good girl. I just don't want to get stuck with another goat that has problems.

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It kinda looks like he's just trying to sell off another goat that he does not want.

I could understand if you don't have other goats since goats are herd animals and get lonely.

Maybe explaining to him that you do not want the other goat and that you others that this doe will be part of perhaps he will relent and sell you the doe you only want.

Was this an Ad that offered the doe?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wow, thats a tough situation. I seem to get ALL of the unwanted, injured, and needy ones here as well. I have one Ewe sheep, that had her jaw broken, and it didnt heal properly. So, now I have to grain her every day, to make sure she gets enough feed. And, every few days...I have to sig the grain out of her jaw...it gets stuck and looks like a chipmunk. :/ She is a sweet gal....but didnt breed this last fall. Not sure she ever will.
As for the goat.....is there a way you could find it a home, in a petting zoo or something similar?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are lots of goats out there....it is unfair for him to insist that you take on a problem animal. I would not do it, personally. It is one thing if you choose to rescue (I have!) but completely ridiculous that he expects you to not only take on his problem, but pay for the privilege! I would buy the one you want, and if he doesn't want to split them, walk away. Just what I would do. Sadly, but I would stand firm on this one.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, I have heard mixed reviews about electric fencing for goats. Tell me what you think. If we do 5 or 6 wires with the bottom one hot, one hot at about shoulder height and one hot on the top do you think it will hold them? My BIL (our future neighbor) is having a fit about the fence and wants something that he can't see. We were going to do the no climb horse fence with one strand of electric on the bottom but he won't hear of it and went crying to daddy. So now we are doing electric. We are fencing in about 4 acres with 2 paddocks for them. Do you think it will hold them?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Um.....why does anyone but you get to decide what fence is on YOUR property?

If you are going to have tiny kids, which you will every year with dairy goats, I would go with the horse fencing. He can plant a row of something a few feet from the fence to hide it. Anything planted too close will get eaten! :D

Sheesh. In-laws.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Um.....why does anyone but you get to decide what fence is on YOUR property?

If you are going to have tiny kids, which you will every year with dairy goats, I would go with the horse fencing. He can plant a row of something a few feet from the fence to hide it. Anything planted too close will get eaten! :D

Sheesh. In-laws.
Does BIL want the goats wandering on his property? eating his garden? Is he going to pay for it? or put it up?

Point out the negatives of the fencing he is insisting on and your reasons as to why you need the fence you are willing to put up. If this is your property, you have a right to fence it in.
I can promise you that those little kids are VERY curious and excellent at escaping in order to explore what is on the other side!!!
I learned that one already :lol: Oh and they are good jumpers too!!! and climbers!! they are not afraid of falling.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I know.....he's a spoiled rotten little brat and he cries to mommy and when he's not happy, nobody's happy. Technically the property we're fencing belongs to FIL but when he sells his current home he's planning on retiring and splitting the property between the 2 brothers. Then the property we're fencing will be ours. FIL is just as sick of it as we are. I'm threatening to get some hogs....:gig We are doing a smaller paddock connected to the barn and we'll see how that goes first before we release them into the bigger field.

It's done now and we have to do the electric, he also pitched a fit about the chicken and duck pen and now they have to be relocated to part of the woods, which will honestly be better for them anyway, more protection from the hawks. They'll also be better separated from the goats so I won't have to worry about them getting into the feed.

I'll let you know how it goes. I want to put the first hot wire at about 4 inches and space the next wires up every 6 with the total height being about 42 inches. He's gonna love the goat playground equipment....that's gonna be real fun to look at.....gonna build it out of telephone poles and scrap lumber. He didn't know the Clampetts were moving in next door :D

Funny thing is, we're gonna be living in a double wide and he currently lives on top of his garage. :rolleyes: