Official SS Goat Thread

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
ACV is Apple Cider Vinegar. It is best to use organic unfiltered unpasteurized ACV. But we use what we can get ;)
I should have remembered that one, Thank You.

bob

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ksalvagno said:
Fiasco Farm's website is working again. Last night I couldn't get to it at all either.
Glad to see it's fixed. That's been a very useful site for information including BYH, Chicken Chatter & this forum as well for my goat questions.

Thanks

bob

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, here's one for this goat thread. In future plans I am getting a hazelnut bush. I don't see it anywhere listed so does anyone know if the bush or the nut would be dangerous to a goat if consumed?

Thanks

bob

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I don't know about hazelnuts specifically.....but you're not putting it in the goat pen, right? Just worried about them escaping and mowing down the bush and getting sick?

I have black walnuts, black cherries, and red maples in my pastures that all drop leaves in large amounts in the fall. The goats munch on all of them. But since they are not starving and have unlimited access to a wide variety of "good" plants, they don't over-indulge, and I no longer worry about it.

I do have one little, older goat who will pig out on acorns in a banner year, so I have to limit her access to the pasture until the squirrels clean up. No other goat here has been that greedy with any one plant in my pasture that caused problems.

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Right, I am not intentionally going to feed the goats. More concerned if they get ahold of the plant that they won't keel over where you see little x-ed out eyes on them like in the cartoons.

So far mine won't touch acorns but will constantly try to munch on a very old Japanese yew that no matter how much I fence it off they get into it and will start munching until I chase them off.

I've already got rid of a rhododendron bush, dug out my rhubarb and giving that away, moved and re-potted in another spot my wife's bleeding heart plant and the azalea bush so the one boy won't munch on that one either.

I tell you they are worse than 2 year olds and will get into anything and everything you don't want them to be with.

bob

OOPS, not a Japanese yew, but it's a different Japanese bush. Japanese yews are a no-no for them.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And don't you love the look in their eyes when they see you coming to capture them.....their eyes get squinty for a flash, like Clint Eastwood's, then they turn to their intended target and defoliated it like a wood chipper! :p It is a little frayed twig by the time you run up to them and grab their collars!

stano40

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ain't that the truth. But try to feed them food in a clean dish and/or watch the look they give you if their water is a little soiled vs the stubborn resolve in eating that twig or leaf they find in a pile of dirty poo.

I like that feed recipe that was listed earlier here on this thread. Today while at TSC I noticed they carried wheat bran and the rolled oats. I'll have to look elsewhere for the barley.

I keep forgetting to get them the redman salt, but I do supply the baking soda and a good goat mineral.

My wife today told me that 2 of our goats have tattoo's, so now I'll have to look up and read how to decipher them.

bob

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
My little does are 2 weeks old now. They are doing very well. They get 16 oz of milk (1/2 c goat, 1 1/2c cow) with a smidgeon of yogurt added 3 times a day. The yogurt really seemed to help their digestion. Next week I'll start giving them less milk in the middle of the day. They are nibbling on things they find in the yard. They sort of follow me around as I do my yard chores, especially weeding. I have started to offer them some alphalfa and other hay.
The chickens are getting more and more used to them. The dog still wants to play with them as if they were puppies.
SO thinks it is still to cold at night to make them sleep outside, all by themselves :lol:
I don't argue, because I don't feel like feeding them their bottles outside at 8 am or 8pm. I rather do that inside, while I'm in my jammies.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, I need help with this one. We have a 2 week old doe that we really want to purchase but the owner wants to sell it with a herd mate that has some issues with its front legs (they curve slightly) and is also a hermaphrodite (according to the vet). What do I do? I really want one but not both. They are nigis and the one we want is small (even for a nigi) but has beautiful conformation and coloring and is otherwise healthy, just smaller than normal.

If it were you what would you do?