Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

• Make your own ______ (e.g. bread, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • Maintain a vegetable / fruit garden

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Raise my own livestock

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • Use discount coupons

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Recycle / Repurpose

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Buy at Thrift shops

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Can / Preserve / Freeze your own

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Cook at home and avoid eating at restaurants

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This renting is driving me nuts. The best I can do right now is to look for bargains/sales at the meat shop, stock up, and freeze. 18 more months of alimony......:barnie
Ever hit the dead meat counter? That's what I call the marked down meat that is about to expire. I only bought beef, pork gets slimy, chicken the same. I used to do the same thing you are doing. You will get your country life back soon and will be telling us all about it.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Peppers & tomatoes grow well in a big bucket, they can be set on a deck, patio, porch. May be just enough for fresh eating but, powerful good & productive -- as i'm sure you know. Plant a pot! :)

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
0422181846.jpg
So -- brought home new buckling, free blackberry & raspberry plants, PLUS 2 turkey eggs!!! LOL My broody trying to hatch an old electric socket will now get turkey eggs. :D

0422181940.jpg
0422181847a.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Black Spanish & something else. Has heritage breeds, mostly...3 kinds? Hey, on Thksging Day it will all be good! If she finds where they are laying, she'll call me. Last one was kind enough to lay & hatch in barn. :) 7 adorable poults out there with her -- all spoken for. She sold another batch of 6 poults. But she's 65 miles away.....so better be a lot of them.
I'm good with 2.

Not as huge as he will get!!! Only 3 mos now. Couple hundred lbs grown. My current buck is that size also -- Nubian. I have 2 5th gen mini nub bucks I'll sell in summer. May keep the new 4th gen doelings. May not :idunno they are nice girls but, I like the full size to milk.

shikauhr

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Haven't found anyone that doesn't love to save a little money. We have a PV system on the house to help with the electrical bill, but we need a bigger system and are trying to save up the money to get one. We have a garden, which is helpful, though I am wanting to expand this with an aquaponics system, as we have to deal with the drought here and the high cost of water. We recycle and reuse alot, and even have a worm bin. Wanting to expand further, but my wife and I are looking for some land we can get. As I do have some carpentry skills, and mason skills, I was planning on building my own house, though planning on a microhome, vice anything big, have more animals than people at the moment. Will keep everyone advised on how things are going. We are wanting to learn as much as we can from others, but, like everyone, we will most likely make our own mistakes here and there, and with your help, we should be able to figure out a solution to them. As the old adage goes, the more minds you have, the more options you will get. And, I've found this to be true during my working life.

Latest posts