1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Donation Requests - Support Sumi's Health Recovery Fund - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

Discussion in 'Official SS Contests, Polls, Etc.' started by Support, Oct 12, 2016.

?

What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

1. Make your own ______ (e.g. bread, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)

42 vote(s)
    68.9%
  2. Maintain a vegetable / fruit garden

51 vote(s)
    83.6%
  3. Raise my own livestock

40 vote(s)
    65.6%
  4. Use discount coupons

20 vote(s)
    32.8%
  5. Recycle / Repurpose

51 vote(s)
    83.6%
  6. Buy at Thrift shops

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  7. Can / Preserve / Freeze your own

50 vote(s)
    82.0%
  8. Cook at home and avoid eating at restaurants

53 vote(s)
    86.9%
  9. Others: (Please specify)

17 vote(s)
    27.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jan 15, 2019
    Mini Horses

Mini Horses Super Self-Sufficient

While some tweeking would be needed, I'm able to feel ok and could go off-grid if it came to it. I have oil lamps, washboards, 2 man saws, axes, how-to knowledge. It is a different lifestyle but you adapt and I could feel comfortable. I remember doing all of this into my teens, WV taught me!

My well is over 500'. While I have a hand pump, too deep. But there is an old well at the back of my property, dug & stone lined, & stone barrier at top about 3' above ground, which has ample water. Downhill from house and would need to be tested, probably boiled -- but there! A river is about 4 miles. Again....fish like it but boil for me. :D Have wanted to test the old well for a while but not on priority, just "to know". Have soap making oils & lye on hand. Plus know HOW to make lye from ashes & rainwater. I can, have raised own food, meat & veggies.

A solar set-up to pump my own is a "look into" in a year or so.

I have a septic and could work an "outhouse affair" to tap into the lines going to it. Catch rainwater to flush on down :D

Heat. I have propane, kero, wood, available when needed. And huge generator...gas, of course. If the need became permanent, yes, I can re-install the wood heater inside - all the chimney, etc is there. Just pulled it out & put in a "look like wood" propane heater several years ago.

Wood is available at the back of my farm. Daughter uses for her fireplace in winter, plenty there for the cutting. I've hauled, cut and split my fair share!!

I'd miss my computer for a while because of connection to this stuff:lol::love

2. Jan 15, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

Don't overlook the options of a vermiposting toilet, and grey water recycling, rain barrels. Build an outhouse. Doable in some situations, I'd be hard pressed to do it here b/c of high water table and our crazy rocks mixed with a bit of soil/clay terrain.

Beekissed, tortoise and Hinotori like this.
  3. Jan 15, 2019
    Hinotori

Hinotori Super Self-Sufficient

The vermicomposting toilet is great for high water table areas. Traditional septic tanks and outhouses don't work so well in those spots.

4. Feb 14, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D Lovin' The Homestead

We buy everything needed that we possibly can from auctions and Craig’s list. We see no benefit to buying new/newer if there are used and well broken in items available. Many “old” items work perfectly but were discarded for a new model. Some items will work just fine with a minor repair or adaptation. We have had a whole lot of luck with used farm and garden equipment and supplies. We are forever building things for either farm, cabin, or personal use. We have found that free pallets or scrap lumber fits the bill for most things. We do dismantle our free pallets, even when we hit the jackpot and found several huge cargo crates that took 3 trips with a huge trailer to bring them home. They were filled with used and free pallets as a bonus. We have yet to run out of free 2” x4”’s, 1”x4”’s, even find some 4”x4” occasionally.

Beekissed likes this.
  5. Feb 14, 2019
    Carla D

Carla D Lovin' The Homestead

I’d miss my computer as well. It is one of my main sources for quick information. But I could visit Dewey (system) at the local library or rely on the experience of family and neighbors if I had to. I’ve often fealt that I would like to live a modified pioneer lifestyle.

Beekissed likes this.