Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?

• Make your own ______ (e.g. bread, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)

Votes: 43 68.3%
  • Maintain a vegetable / fruit garden

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Raise my own livestock

Votes: 42 66.7%
  • Use discount coupons

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Recycle / Repurpose

Votes: 53 84.1%
  • Buy at Thrift shops

Votes: 45 71.4%
  • Can / Preserve / Freeze your own

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Cook at home and avoid eating at restaurants

Votes: 55 87.3%
  • Others: (Please specify)

Votes: 17 27.0%

• Total voters

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
What?? And I thought having a "view tax" was a money grubbing way to fund the town.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh view taxes.... It's awesome when someone clears their property and it happens to give you a view of a mountain or two and your taxes skyrocket.

Yeah that's pretty crazy. How do they know the bedrooms aren't being used?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Window tax?! You've GOT to be kidding...smh! Some folks are crazy! WE have rules for rentals but some things are ridiculous lol

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Yep… and empty bedrooms :rolleyes:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Now that I'm in a bigger field, I'm using less hay. So I overbought last year. I'm keeping track of the amount of hay I use every day so I have a better idea of how much to buy. Last week I only needed 1 bale for the horses and 1 for the goats! I still have over 50 bales that I bought last year. I plan on buying only an addition 125. So less hay means less time at the hay auction which means less gas.

Sometimes it pays to spend more money. Normally when it's time for shots for the horses the vet comes out and does everyone then splits the call. This year was horrible. I'm not getting into it. Next year, I plan on having the vet out for my horses only and paying the whole cost of the vet call. It's a small price to pay for less aggravation.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Something I do that most people think is crazy-I weigh out my horse feed. It is then placed in bags and the bags are placed in old kitty litter buckets. The bags have the name of the horse that it gets fed to on them, and each is in a different color bucket. The ink on the name corresponds to the color of the feed bucket and the lid on the kitty litter container. This way I know exactly how much feed my horses are getting and can adjust the amount if needed. I save money doing this since there's no guess work involved. The directions on the feed says how much to give in weight, not volume. And different types of feed can have a way different volume.

Latest posts