Official SS Poll: What is your primary reason for gardening?

What is your primary reason for gardening?

• Food self-sufficiency

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Hobby

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Sustainability

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Health

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are curious to learn more about the diverse motivations behind why people cultivate their green spaces. Gardening offers a multitude of benefits, from fostering a deeper connection with nature to providing fresh, homegrown produce.

In this poll, we're asking: What is your primary reason for gardening? Your choice helps us understand the varied inspirations that drive individuals to pick up a shovel, plant some seeds, and watch their gardens flourish.

onions-8556903_640.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I use no chemicals in my veg garden. Food supplies today are full of chem that are not good for us. It is one major reason for many health issues we see in today's populations. So growing and preserving my own lets me avoid that unwanted input. It's self sufficiency at its best. Most any flowers grown are for companion planting.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
all apply to me too, but health is the biggest part of it, mental health, physical health, meaningful exercise, being outside and moving.

every gardening day i have [X] units available and often i don't know what [X] is until i reach about [X - 1]. luckily if i rest up a bit i can often have several rounds and then as the season goes on my capacity increases.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I refuse to eat a store bought tomato. Just used the last of my home grown and canned tomato sauce. Date on jar was 2021. Quietly going into anxiety attack. I’ve moved twice, permanently located now, but lots of work to do yet.

Fresh is the best. I feel no need to ride my vegetables around in the truck. Walking from garden to house is a long enough ride for them.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I refuse to eat a store bought tomato. Just used the last of my home grown and canned tomato sauce. Date on jar was 2021. Quietly going into anxiety attack. I’ve moved twice, permanently located now, but lots of work to do yet.

Fresh is the best. I feel no need to ride my vegetables around in the truck. Walking from garden to house is a long enough ride for them.
Many of mine do not make it into the house as I sometimes "graze" in the garden.