Official SS Poll: What is your primary reason for gardening?

What is your primary reason for gardening?

• Food self-sufficiency

Votes: 13 65.0%
  • Hobby

Votes: 9 45.0%
  • Sustainability

Votes: 7 35.0%
  • Health

Votes: 12 60.0%
  • Other (Please explain below)

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
On this forum, most of us agree and share on "why".

Savings apply, also. That's almost secondary to the why -- but equally significant. Initial investment for equipment up front, after that, economical. Of course our time is calculated as free :lol: :lol: :lol:

i may count it as free when i'm growing stuff to eat for us, but when it comes down to growing for others or giving away i value it a lot more. even if i value my time at $10/hr there's no way i could sell what i grow for that price, when you count the garden prep, watering, etc. and then the harvest and processing time. however, i'm glad to say that i consider just a handful of new dry beans or fresh steamed beans worth the entire season let alone all the other good things we grow.

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
being outside and moving
This is my main reason.

But :hide you all are talking about vegetable gardening. I’m pretty much just a flower-aholic.

I think I got this one from TEG. Oh duh, it says so right on it!

26BC7796-284A-4059-BE9C-13ED36541B8C.jpeg

I plan to start growing some vegetables. I don’t have a lot of spots where the chickens can’t get them. I think I will squeeze some into my flower beds. I have onion seeds sprouting in my basement now.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I plan to start growing some vegetables. I don’t have a lot of spots where the chickens can’t get them. I think I will squeeze some into my flower beds. I have onion seeds sprouting in my basement now.

the nice thing about onions and garlic is that both of them tend to not be bothered by deer or other herbivores (other than trampling to get at the other things...). if you get enough onions growing eventually you'll have onion flowers which are great bee fodder and a way to survey your wild bee populations (apart from also being yummy :) ).

harley.todd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Gardening is renowned for its benefits to mental well-being, offering a chance to immerse oneself in nature and unwind. Studies have shown that this connection with nature can help alleviate stress and anxiety. Engaging in gardening provides a sense of satisfaction from nurturing new life and observing plant growth. This activity contributes to improved mood and a greater sense of happiness, making it a accessible and pleasurable means of enhancing mental health...

akroberts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is my main reason.

But :hide you all are talking about vegetable gardening. I’m pretty much just a flower-aholic.

I think I got this one from TEG. Oh duh, it says so right on it!

View attachment 25806

Talk to someone at a local nursery and see if they have any useful pots that they would like to get rid of. I have to start a lot of my garden in pots to stay. My ground is an old river bed so it's hard as steel and it was over worked way back before the house was built so rocks in the ground and carrots don't mix but I can grow them in a pot.