Official SS Rabbit Thread

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so tell me if you think this will work....I have a large metal folding dog crate with the slide out tray in the bottom. If I turn it upside sown so that the smaller squares are on the bottom would that work as a rabbit tractor if I drape a towel on one end for shade??? I'm thinking that would be okay for my 3 current bunnies just to let them get out of the hutch and eat some grass a few days a week. Save a lot on my feed bill......

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Okay, so I just went outside and did it and took a quick pic! Free ranging.....and it didn't cost me a dime!!!

100_2669.jpg

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Excellent idea for your "playpen".

We are now the owners of a bunny/rabbit. I don't think she's a New Zealand, though, as she is neither solid nor marbled. I'm fairly certain she is Californian. She is mostly white with blue/gray ears, black nose and black tail. Now, this does concern me that the previous owner did not know the difference because if she couldn't tell that then is my girl really a girl?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:

We are now the owners of a bunny/rabbit. I don't think she's a New Zealand, though, as she is neither solid nor marbled. I'm fairly certain she is Californian. She is mostly white with blue/gray ears, black nose and black tail. Now, this does concern me that the previous owner did not know the difference because if she couldn't tell that then is my girl really a girl?
Sounds like a New Zealand x Californian...they get the gray in areas where the Californian is dark brown.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've done feed trials on my coturnix, and I'm working on doing the buttons (the problem is that they take SO long to eat a pound, and then I end up forgetting to write down when I had started the pound), so I figured that I really should do a feed trial on my rabbits. I still have at least half a bale of hay from December, plus I have 21lbs of feed out of the 50lb bag that was purchased on the same day. I usually feed 1 1/2 of my scoop cups (maybe 20oz cup) to the rabbits, but they usually all have some on the bottom, and I'm just topping off the feed dishes. I estimate that it lasts about a day and a half. I weighed the approximate amount that I feed, and it's about 18oz. So, I'm going to do some actual feed trials with them. I can't really estimate the hay, it's just too unruly to weigh out. I'll have to roughly estimate that (I'm sorry, I HATE estimations in my final calculations!) If anyone has any ideas on how to more accurately estimate it though, I'd greatly appreciate it! Anyways, I just weighed out 2lbs of feed, but I did this AFTER feeding them, lol. So, I'll weigh feeds out for about a week to get an accurate calculation. I'll let everyone know how it goes. I'll try to do this once a month or so for the rabbits, just to keep accurate notes on raising them from feeder size to breeder size.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I must REALLY suck at deception or my hubby knows me better than I think or he actually spends some time with the chooks when he goes for a smoke. I've already been "busted". All I could do was give him a sheepish grin. Well, WHEW!! The cats out of the bag and I feel better about it now.

Forgot to mention: my chickens are way terrified of the little rabbit. Every time she hops towards them, they bolt and flap their wings and create quite a scene which in turn scares her into trying to run. I've never scene a hen get fluffed up like a cat before. My head hen puffed up all her feathers and spread her wings and tried to look as big as she could for the little bunny. Funniest thing I've scene in a while.

Anyone have suggestions for names? I was kind of leaning towards a girly, old -fashioned type name to match my girls. Their names are Millie (Miliani), Addie (Deathadder, hubby named her after his WOW toon), Balari, Xanthe (again after one of hubby's gaming toons) and Lacey.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have all "P" names. Rabbitry name is Penelope's

Pudge
Pickle
Pecan
Pip
Puff
Pixel
Palomino (P'mino)
Peace
Pearl
Pretty

... and George

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Aidenbaby said:

Sounds like a New Zealand x Californian...they get the gray in areas where the Californian is dark brown.
My cali's are white with grey/black points. how old is the bunn? If it is fully matured, if you separate and press down on the genitalia, if it is a male, a penis will protrude. if it is not fully matured, there will still be a bump sticking out, for a male and nothing sticking out if it is a female. I could give better descritptions if it weren't so late, and I could go check to describe it better. there are also drawings online.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
MorelCabin said:
Aidenbaby said:

My cali's are white with grey/black points. how old is the bunn? If it is fully matured, if you separate and press down on the genitalia, if it is a male, a penis will protrude. if it is not fully matured, there will still be a bump sticking out, for a male and nothing sticking out if it is a female. I could give better descritptions if it weren't so late, and I could go check to describe it better. there are also drawings online.
I think the easiest way for me is buck = circle, doe = slit. I got 2 of 3 right in my first litter. :)