Official SS Rabbit Thread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
The males will spray each other. I got some bucks for meat that were kept 2 per cage. OMG they were gross. The dominant buck was fine, but the other buck in the cage was disgusting.

I've had good luck with one of my does mixed in with babies.

My other adult doe is a b*tch and will fight with anything. I can't get her bred. She is destined for dinner if she doesn't produce a live litter this spring.

You should have a 1" gap inbetween cages to prevent spreading disease. You'll want urine guards on those cages because both males and females spray. (Ewww!)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How many cages do you usually have? I'm assuming a breeding trio is what you have. I'll be raising for meat too. My neighbor across the street, who hunts, even agreed to help me slaughter. I can't depend on DH for help regarding that. He's not into the whole SS thing at all.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Pretty (left) and Pickle (right) with the shed and cages in the background

4479290747_4a34e75a92.jpg

My cages (and if you're careful, you can see the ears of a breeding pair in the bottom right cage)

4479291211_8e766f9679.jpg

And my helper :)

4479292619_ae5a4e5cf5.jpg

4479919352_120396f409.jpg

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
My "good" doe is pregnant and due this week. My SO (veterinarian) palpated her today and felt at least 3 babies.

My other doe which has not yet produced a live litter is also pregnant (or has really big poops :lol: ) She is due in 2 weeks.

:weee

I added a 2 more cages to accomodate the babies when they are weaned.

I found a buyer for any leftover rabbits. Only $1 per pound, but that's a start. :)

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I've been raising Mini Rex this year. They are pet quality. I wouldn't say they'd give off much meat, but. . .

I can butcher a chicken, but a rabbit is cute and cuddly and too sweet to butcher. I don't think I could do it. And I've never eaten rabbit. But I do know that meat rabbits are gaining popularity around here. A couple sold this week at auction for around $15 each.

I LOVE the greenhouse idea in post #18. I NEED to do that. I could make a double long hoop house and move in the rabbits right away. I currently have 4 cages of adults.

I just need TIME. Oh, illusive time. :/

Thanks Kim also for the SS rabbit facts. Makes a lot of sense.

I have 13 MR bunnies right now that are just starting on food and water. I'm hoping for $8 to $10 each. Only got $5 each on my last bunch because I sold at wholesale price to the feed store. :rolleyes:

My rabbits are on wire bottomed cages, but they each have a small resting board maybe 4x6 inches.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Do they poop on their resting boards?
A couple of them (bucks) will, and I have to scrap them. Oh, I guess I have 5 cages since I have 3 does. :p My does seem to gravitate to one corner of their cage to poo. One doe seemed to like a litter box. I thought she was bred and ready for a nesting box, but she turned it in to a litter box. I had to remove it so she'd really use a nest when she finally has kits.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Tortoise, I am surprised you are only getting $1 per pound. I bought my girl for $15. I want to breed but DH nixed the idea. I even offered to sell two of my layers for one buck. No go. You could check CL to see if what the going rate is for rabbits in your area.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If they go for 4-H bunnies, they go for $40 ("wholesale") to $60 for an average bunny. I'm trying to breed for a certain rare color that should get $120 - $200.

The $1/lb buyer is a neighbor. Who knows - if he gets his chickens, I'll trade him for a chicken. :)

I'm thinking about rabbit food today. Does everyone here buy pellet rabbit chow? I used to feed a combo of alfalfa pellets/cubes, cracked corn and rolled oats. I estimated that it cost more than pellets. I'm using up what I had bought (about 150lb) and have been using pellets too.

I've always used a lot of kitchen scraps. They get time out in the grass and eat a lot of grass! Today I dug dandelions out of the lawn and they all enjoyed a big handful. I laid out the rest of the dandelion plants to dry for storage.

I was thinking of raking up dry lawn clippings to make "hay" over the summer. I don't think it would last too long, but it IS making use of "waste." (How very SS!)

Any ideas for SS rabbit food? I want to keep my cost WAY down so my SO doesn't complain so much about the rabbits. They are not earning their keep at this point.

Aidenbaby - what are plans for your rabbit if you're not breeding? Fatten her for dinner? or pet?

Latest posts