Official SS Rabbit Thread

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
You could see if wrapping the frozen bottles in a pillow case will help. Just realize that the rabbits will probably chew on the fabric though.
Our rabbbit is outside in an open pen with a concrete floor. It is shaded with a tarp. It stays nice and cool on all but the hottest days (over 100). He doesn't even sit next to the frozen water most days.
You could also try freezing some sort of stone. I have used chilled terrazzo tiles to help cool the rabbit. I was out of frozen water and looked for something else. I had them in a cool area of the patio and used them.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
tortoise said:
Can you PM me a dose for working rabbits with 1% Ivermectin solution (Ivomec)? My vet has not gotten back to me yet. I'd like to know what you are using.
One tenth a CC per lb of rabbit of 1% Ivermectin injectable either subQ, orally, or topically.

For a 5lb rabbit you'd give 1/2 CC. I use the tiny 1cc syringes because it's easy to "see" the dose they need because it's divided up by tenths of a CC.

Note: I don't give rabbits intended for dinner any meds - or at least I read the labels for waiting periods before slaughter.

An alternative way to de-worm (and keep the fly population down) is to add food grade D.E. to their feed every day. No waiting period before slaughter required with this method. I would say that if parasites are a concern, then keep your rabbits off the ground where they are likely to pick them up but if we are feeding our rabbits grasses and weeds then we might assume they will pick them up from that.

Anyway, since I'm dealing with a show herd at the moment and don't process all that much, I use Ivermectin and Piperzine for de-worming. I just skip the meds for the rabbits I'm planning on processing in the next few months. When I get my meat trio, my management of those rabbits will be much more organic and I expect that to work out very well for them because they won't be under the same stresses/demands as my show herd.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have Ivomec and DE on hand. I'm not convinced DE worked internally since it has to be dry to work (according to the label). But I have 50 lb of DE, so it's worth a shot. I was thinking about sprinkling it in trays if I end up with any flies this summer.

Vet says 300 mcg/kg of ivermectin. Not sure what that is for cc/lb of 1% Ivermectin (Ivomec).

My rabbits are on the grass and I don't intend to take that away. I did have a pup that was treated for roundworm early this year, so it is very possible for them to pick something up in the grass.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So... um... Annabelle has been growling at me. I think she's doing it because I've had to ignore her thumping. I say had to because I can't leave her in her playpen all night and I want her to graze during the day. Of course. That means a LOT of handling where her previous owners did none (you can definitely tell). She is getting better with handling her twice a day and the occassional "bribe" for a pet. Her bribes are usually to get her to apprach me as opposed to vice versa and are dendelions, nettles and bindweed from other sections of the yard. I guess what I'm circumventing is: is it good or bad with this newest development? If it is bad, I just want to say that with the increased handling, she doesn't growl or thump as muuch as she used to and is even starting to relax in my arms.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
There is something oddly funny and frightening about a rabbit growling!

I'd just ignore it. Growling isn't hurting anything. If she starts getting nippy, touch her nose. Rabbits are extremely jumpy about having their faces touched and that will get her to back off. otherwsie a firm thump on her snout conveys the message that nipping is not OK.

If she's in an actual ex-pen, you can start to fold it up while she is still in it to make her space smaller. This makes catching less stressful for both of you.

Just keep doing what you are doing for handling. Or maybe handle her a bit more. I'm in the shed or moving my rabbits about 4 times a day - often more than that.

Rabbits take time to come around after periods of not being handled. My doe that was not handled for 3 months has taken another 2 months to be (almost) back to as affectionate and outgoing as she was before.

I have another doe that was not handled as a baby and I don't do anything other than groom or move her because she has not gotten better in 9+ months. She doesn't have to be a pet if she doesn't want to be. (She doesn't realize that the ones I like I will take extraordinary measures if something bad were to happen - versus the ornery ones like her that I would cull. If she were a bit smarter she would cuddle. :gig ) However, she does not stomp or growl, I can catch her out of a pen easily, and she lies still for grooming.

I'm talking to much again... I just get so darn excited and talkative anout rabbits.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I have-to have-to share this photo with you. It is too cute!
These are my wooler babies. :)
4599274733_49e3f09d42.jpg

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I had sold off all of my rabbits earlier this year - but I did just acquire two Mini Rex kits from Becca a couple weeks ago. They are super cute, but only about 9 weeks old, I think?

I got a boy and a girl, and I named the boy Leo and the girl Flopsy. I know, real original.

I'm hoping I have a more positive experience this time around with rabbits. I'm also hoping to use what small amount of revenue I'll generate from any litters next year to purchase a nice start of Silver Marten Rabbits.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a bit of progress with my rabbits. My does have a nice dewlap developing, and are at the point that someone else mentioned when their does were of breeding age. So, I figured I'd check, and placed a doe in with my buck. The hookup was immediate, he humped, she lifted and he jerked and dropped. I left her in there for the rest of the day. Hopefully this first litter goes well, though I'm banking on not having a good litter for awhile yet. I'd love to breed my second doe just to get the first litter out of the way, but with my luck, they'd both be excellent first time mothers and I'd be scrambling to figure out what the heck to do with them all, lol.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Awww, they are really cute! Nice photography too! Did you take this photo?
Yup. Nikon Coolpix (an ordinary digital camera) set on macro. They are just on a white laminate hardboard scrap I found in the shed and the rainy day gave a nice diffused lighting. No expert here... just luck. :lol

I fuss about photos. I like to sell them as pets and for show. Sure, they are meat-type, but I can get A LOT more money/value out of them for pet/wool/show than for meat. But I have a enighbor who will buy any unsalable rabbits off me (for way too cheap) so I con't have to worry about being stuck with too many. (Plus I have doubled the number of cages now, so I have 5 empty cages I *could* fill).

I am looking for another buck. My chinchilla buck does NOT produce well with my hemozygous "broken" doe that makes nice BIG kits and she is a good momma too. I don't want to sell her because I've done the test crosses, know she is homozygous. Plus she has a really sweet (and feisty) personality, so she is one of my favorites.

QA - why did you sell your off? And why did you decide to get back into it?

I bred my chocolate doe (the bad momma) after talking to her breeder. She produces SUCH nice colors that it would be a shame to have to cull her.

My youngest doe is a pretty little lilac tortoiseshell that I am getting into a show coat for fall.

And I have to learn to *gulp* tattoo them. I don't know why that freaks me out so much. I've tattooed puppies... lots of puppies.