Official SS Rabbit Thread

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
How do you market your rabbits?

I am not having success yet. I have started a blog/website. I tried a couple times before, but finally have something I like. I had to figure out how to get static pages linked into a blog. It took a while!

http://penelopesrabbitry.blogspot.com/

I sold a litter to another breeder for resale to 4-H kids. I could have gotten more if I had the client base to sell them directly!

Should I suck it up and go to shows? :shudder:

Any luck with Craigslist or swap meets?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I haven't done any marketing, so I have no idea. We only have our one pet rabbit. I was just asking at the Farmer's market, since someone had rabbit meat for sale.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Post anywhere that you can. Craigslist, any other free classifieds for your area. Statewide classifieds are great. Post them for sale w/free butchering. That by-passes the inspection regulations. That also encourages live rabbit sales or meat sales. More and more people are turning to local foods, and many are after lean foods, but many don't want to butcher a cute little bunny.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah, it's nice to find a few rabbit threads here. :)

My set up.....my rabbitry is a 12x32 mini-barn with 3 windows for ventilation, double-dutch door for more ventilation (top open) and to keep dogs out (bottom closed), and a rolling garage door at the end for more ventilation when I put my 4 ft high x-pen across it (plus, the barn came like that. lol). My Jersey Wooly rabbits and my sons' Polish are kept in 24x24 - 3 hole stackers. Currently, I'm only working with 25 holes for two breeds. We show the JWs and PL.

I put a small amount of wood stove pellets at the back of the pans so help soak up urine. Cleaning is twice a week. Poo and any saw dust from the expanded pellets go into the compost pile. Knock Out is lightly sprayed on the clean trays and more wood pellets added.

I use J-feeders for Purina Show Formula pellets, heavy crocks for water since I find they drink more out of them than water bottles. Hay racks hold either Timothy or Oat grass hays that I buy in bales. I buy my cages and supplies from KW Cages or West Coast Cages.

I de-worm 3x per year with Piperzine and Ivermectin.

In November I'm picking up my Argente Bruns, at the ARBA convention and show in MN, from an acquaintance. I'll be working on this rare breed. I'm not sure who holds the COD for them but I think I'll look into it as I'd like to help them get it accepted by the ARBA if I can. I'm getting the Bruns primarily for a home meat production project but holding back the typiest ones for my development project.

I'll be keeping the Bruns in 30x36 3 hole stackers. I'll start with 2 stackers. One hole for my buck, two for my does, one for growing out fryers and two for growing out improved stock to replace the breeders. Lol. I know it's not many holes but that is what I'm starting out with.

Currently we eat the occasional cull but I don't get many of those very often and they're not more than a mouthful so it will be quite an experience to get the meat rabbits.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Can you PM me a dose for working rabbits with 1% Ivermectin solution (Ivomec)? My vet has not gotten back to me yet. I'd like to know what you are using.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I need ideas for keeping my bun-buns cool this summer. Our temps top out in high 90's with some high humidity days.

My rabbits are in a garden shed - 8x10? We put a window in one side and there is a roll-up door that I leave open whenever the weather is nice.

I don't think it is enough for summer. Ideas?

ETA: Keep in mind that I have French Angoras. My rabbits are due for plucking in the beginning of August, so up until then, they will have 3" of wool on!

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I freeze water bottles for my Angoras and put them in the pen with them. They love laying beside them. Keepss them nice and cool.:D

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Sebrightmom said:
I freeze water bottles for my Angoras and put them in the pen with them. They love laying beside them. Keepss them nice and cool.:D
Do you get problems with wool matting with getting wet from condensation?

I don't put mine out in the grass when it is wet from dew because I get matting problems. I try to sell the wool as "prime" and I don't want to lose a lot to matting.

Sebrightmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't had trouble with matting, but I brush try to brush them everyday during the summer.