Official SS Sheep Thread

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Blackbird recently started an Official SS Goat Thread, so I figured with the passing of our last Sheep thread, we needed a new one. We sheep can't let the goats win out! :lol:

Now most of you know that I am VERY new to sheep ownership... we just bought our first little lamb boy to wether and keep as a companion for our old lonely pony mare. I have a lot to learn and I figure here is the place to learn it!

So lets start by introducing our sheep and telling some stories.

Here is "our" first sheep. He actually belongs to my D1. He is a Blackbelly sheep/Jacobs sheep cross. He is about a month or so old and will be wethered soon. He is named after the captain of the star ship on the show Firefly. Please allow me to introduce Malcolm Reynolds. :D

Malcolm%20Reynoldsa.JPG

Now show me what you got!!

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my - he's handsome!

Would he be a "hair or wool" sheep?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Thanks we think he is a cutie as well. We chose him because he was supposed to be at least half hair sheep as well as cute. We are hoping that he will not require any shearing since he is supposed to be a pasture pal.

I know several of you also have sheep, why did you choose the breed that you have?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
country freedom said:
Oh my - he's handsome!

Would he be a "hair or wool" sheep?
I am not quite sure which way he will turn out! :lol: Jacobs sheep are wool sheep/ Blackbelly sheep are hair sheep and Malcolm is supposed to be a mix of those two kinds. His mama looked like a hair sheep, but with similar markings to his. So we are hoping he will be a shedder!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That is the cutest little sheep FarmFresh!!

912_garden_markers_2_037.jpg

Dolly is in the foreground. She is a Border Cheviot, she can be used for wool, meat or milking. She isn't the best sheep for milking, but she can still be used for milk. Her wool isn't the finest in the world of sheep, however she can make a mean sweater. :p

The sheep in the background is "Dorothy". She is a Katahdin, and as most of you know she is a hair sheep. They are bred for meat. Dorothy is "long in the tooth" and is just here to keep Dolly happy.

Both are wonderful lawn mowers and garden fertilizers. :)

Dolly and Dorothy live on the Double D Ranch. :p Just kidding, but my friends tease me all the time about their names!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
What sweet souls! Since you have a woolie and a hair sheep which do you prefer and why?

Do you do your own shearing? How about spinning? I got a drop spindle a while back, but still have never tried it out. :lol:

rty007

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
off topic, I know...but firefly is a one great show :)