Official SS Sheep Thread

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have Shetland sheep. 3 Ewes and a Ram. They are a strong breed...great at lambing...good wool...and smallish.
This is our Ram, Sonny. Altho everyone said.."Keep your ram at arms lenght, dont make friends, they are mean as snot" So far my little guy is a wonderfull ram. Oh, I watch closely...but he just loves scratches under the chin.
99_sonnysep09.jpg

This is Mary...she was so tiny when I got her..still bottle feeding..and now thinks she is a dog, and needs to follow me everywhere! If I dont pay her attention, she will paw at my leg untill I scratch her and talk to her. She loves to give kisses too!:love
99_marysept.jpg

This one is April. The poor dear was attacked by goats at her former home, and her jaw was broken. :hit It never healed quite right, so now she needs special care to make sure she is getting enough to eat. She has a hard time with hay, it gets stuck in her jay, and from time to time I have to pull it out, so it doesnt rot her teeth. She is a sweetie as well.
99_aprilgrazing.jpg

And Finally...Nelly. She is the BOSS of the barn. She lets everyone know that as well. ;) She is sweet, and loves to be scratched as well. She is also the only ewe that bred last fall, so we are expecting lambs...oh, in a week or so. :weee I can't waite to see her babies...she is HUGH!!! Her time is near, and I will get her in the stall soon...this week.
99_nellyand.jpg

We didnt "chose" Shetlands...they were all a gift from a dear friend. She wanted to rid herself of all her Shetlands, so she could concentrate on Babydolls. I just love my sheep...but am not looking forward to paying someone to sheer them...I really need to lear to do that myself..soon!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
What sweet souls! Since you have a woolie and a hair sheep which do you prefer and why?

Do you do your own shearing? How about spinning? I got a drop spindle a while back, but still have never tried it out. :lol:
I like my woolie better.

My hair sheep has left tufts (actually, large clumps) of hair all over the yard. The woolie's wool stays put until I'm ready to deal with it. (Plus, since I've always had boring straight hair, I've always loved curls! :p )

I don't shear Dolly yet, but I want to learn. A man from New Zealand shears her for me. This year I'm going to keep it and try to do something with it. Last year's wool was down right disgusting b/c of her previous owner's neglect. It was still easy to give away to a serious spinner. I probably could have even sold it. I just wasn't in a position to do anything with it and it was pretty gross.

Justusnak, I love those photos!!! :love

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I love those Shetlands! How sweet they look! I probably couldn't resist giving that little ram some loving either!

The lady at the Katahdin farm that we toured last Friday told us she has a rule about never rubbing a sheep on the top of the head or the face. She only pets them under the chin or on the neck. She says petting on the top of the head and the face will encourage them to butt. They are trying to get their head under your hand to start with, but then it gets rough.

Do any of you follow that practice?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FF, that lady is right!! Never ever pat, rub, or touch them on the top of thier head. Its like a butting challenge. Sometimes I will give Nelly a " pat on the head" and she will lower her head, and paw the ground. :D Cracks me up! Then she will come to me and rub her face on my leg...and I give her chin scratches. All better! :love

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Really??? Wow, never knew that about sheep. I pet the goats on the head all the time, no butting issues here. I might have to remember that if we get some bottle lambs this year. Hmm..