officially firewood season has started for me

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For your 3 days of winter, who needs a fireplace?! :lol: Get a cute little firepit and a couple lounge chairs -- put on a sweater and enjoy.:hide
Ahem. I'll have you know that we had SNOW last year and it lasted THREE days. AND we had ICE that I had to break and haul hot water to melt the ice, for the animals to drink. SNOW is COLD! :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:thumbsup beautiful pics love the cabin :thumbsup

Thank you! My dad and mom built that, along with the "help" of my boys when they were little. That was Dad's 3rd cabin build, though he had no carpentry training, and all have stood the test of time, very sturdy and tight.

It's not fancy, but it's durable and we love it.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes, yes I do. And that $1500 does not include electricity to run the boiler or anything, just pellets. Sigh.
I thought those New England'ers loved firewood and Tom Brady ( My Dads family all from Ma & NH ) :cool:
Cost of firewood = gas & oil for chainsaw and 4-5 weekends of free gym membership :)

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bay, I'm looking for the violin playing emoji -- poor baby! :lol: Go buy the firepit.

TRULY, I know the evils of the cold. While we have a "reasonably" mild/decent winter, there are years when it is quite cold. Our "normal" winter is cold Jan/Feb, with at least 2 weeks of real cold, freeze on water troughs, exposed pipes, etc. Hauling water is the pits! I have several large tubs with electric built in to heat & they work great! But the cost is bad, bad, bad. One really cold winter it cost me $300 for the month -- extra from tubs. So. REALLY bad for several days, I plug a large one in to dip from. Or, I have plugged another where the most are housed, plugging in only for the night. Mostly, I haul jugs of steaming, like you. I'm not wanting those bills. If snow & freeze, I suck it up & use. Had a week last year with 2-3" frozen on tops, I used the heat a few days. Mostly we may get 2 snows, 1-2", lasts 2-3 days. About every 5 yrs or so, I see a foot snow. Area is down for 2 weeks!