Oh oh oh first to post!!!

jennspeeps

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
It's so weird to see a forum with all "0" down the postings page, so I'll break this puppy in and say hello!

I'm Jenn, I live in Tacoma, WA on 0.10 acre... that's 4,440 square feet. DBF lives with me, as do our 2 cats and 4 chickens. We've got a small kitchen garden and are planning to get rid of the front lawn next year to create an "edible landscape".

I speak French and work at a university!

Now you go.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I can't believe this is the first I have seen of this forum. I feel like I have been living under a rock. LOL

Edible landscape! I like the sound of that. :)

I am Cassandra. I live with my husband & 4 year old son on 2 acres in southwest Mississippi. I have a very small garden, eleven chickens, two dogs and two guinea pigs.

I also have an 18 year old son who is getting ready to start college.

Cassandra

crazychickenlady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ha! I was tempted to be the first one to post, but you beat me too it.

I'm Jennifer and live in Danville, CA, SF Bay Area. Live in a very suburban area. We have 3 chickens, compost, vermi-compost and are trying to be energy efficient. Oh and we grow some of our own food too! Taking baby steps towards a little self sufficiency. :D

Have a DH, 2 DD, 1 DS, yellow lab, beagle, 2 cats & 3 chickens, RIR, BO & Black Sex Link. Still waiting for eggs!

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
crazychickenlady said:

I'm Jennifer and live in Danville, CA, SF Bay Area. Live in a very suburban area. We have 3 chickens, compost, vermi-compost and are trying to be energy efficient. Oh and we grow some of our own food too! Taking baby steps towards a little self sufficiency. :D

Have a DH, 2 DD, 1 DS, yellow lab, beagle, 2 cats & 3 chickens, RIR, BO & Black Sex Link. Still waiting for eggs!
How is it that you live just 10 mins. south of me and we havent' gotten together yet? ;)

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Angela here, west central IL. I have a bunch of chickens, one duck, a dog, several bee hives. Usually have a big garden and put up a bunch (no comment about this season though lol). Can't talk hubby into a milk cow, but he's real interested in solar energy. As someone else said, baby steps towards self sufficienty.

greyhorsewoman

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This new forum is great. Being an old 'hippie homesteader' from the 70's who has slowly been returning, I've been looking for input from the various forums to interact with others. Back in the 70's we didn't have internet and we learned a lot from Mother Earth News and all the books we could get our hands on. Those books still grace my little library and suddenly, the dust is being blown off and we are rereading many of them.

My husband & I are in our 50's, have a 50+ acre farm in the endless mountains region on NE Pennsylvania. It is really beautiful up here. WE finally got the farm when we got into horses 10 years ago. I figured it would give me the opportunity to expand my gardening and have some chickens, but we both work full-time so time constraints have made some projects slow coming.

We have two adult children, a daughter, who lives in an urban community inside of Wash DC and our son, who lives with us and helps with my little business & the farm.

Currently, we have 10 horses, 5 goats, 5 geese, 30+ ducks, and close to 100 chickens of varying ages. We hope to build up a customer base of egg customers and add hatching eggs, as well.

We are re-exploring all other avenues. Will probably run some pigs next year for our consumption (could be beef, too). Expand the garden and put in a small fruit orchard and berry patches.

I'm not normally a prolific poster, but I read a lot of them and enjoy all the stories. Good luck on the forum.

crazychickenlady

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Nifty said:
crazychickenlady said:

How is it that you live just 10 mins. south of me and we havent' gotten together yet? ;)
:D Not sure, but it sure is a small world. I'm pretty new to BYC and very new to SS! If you ever become aware of local happenings related to chickens, SS or gardening, let me know!! Jennifer

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I guess it is my turn...

I live in central Minnesota on 1 acre of land. I live with my DH and 3 sons. We have 3 dogs and at last count 27 chickens. We also own 42 acres of land on the river bottom. There we have a large garden (a little over an acre) and soon to be 50 meat chickens to butcher this fall. We are working towards becoming more SS. Hoping to learn more from this sight!

chcknrs

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
This site is great! I am loving all the info already. I am wife, mother of 6 (two my own, four his) grown children, two dogs and 36 chickens. 11 are for laying, the rest are for meat.

We have seven acres of SW Cascades foothills.

Washington, We don't tan, we RUST!