Oh yuck...now I know why I avoid processed food

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I agree with yuck for alot of it but some is just common sense and wouldn't hurt the final product.

like they mention mis-shaped pasta. they then ground into flour. that to me is no problem. heck I do things like that at home if I botch cooking a meal, I can change it easily into many other 'types' of meals...lol

but to use 'moldy' anything again, yuck and it is scary what they truly are doing with food out in the big world.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hmm. I've done similar, if not worse, things with my foods. Fruit fly drops in your drink? Fish it out and drink on. I've boiled up a box of pasta and have picked those little beatle bugs out, until I realized that the entire box was completely infested, then I changed dinner plans, lol. I've also cut mold off of cheese and continued on, same with jam, just scrape the bad off of the top and continue with the good. Bread too, if it's the last loaf, I'll tear away the moldy bit and eat what's good. I don't see the big deal with sifting bugs out of rice/pastas. It's grown outside, you can't possibly expect it to not have bugs in it... Especially if you don't want the chemicals for pesticides.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I sure agree Betta

but for me if I do it to my personal food then I am ok with it.

If I am paying for a meal or buying a product for my hard earned money, I kinda want to know it was not recycled lol

Another one of those, you do not get what you think you are paying for...especially when it comes to fresh products being used in items you purchase.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
True. The whole point of trying to save the contaminated food in my home is so that I don't have to go buy more. I do agree that it's silly that I have to pay for that lesser product (IMO it's lesser, because if I had a choice, I'd throw it the hell away if a bug got into it, but money and sometimes laziness prevents me from doing this).

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I trim the mold off cheese, but i don't use the moldy bread...I just toss it to the animals and make more. I wouldn't pay for that junk though. If I want repurposed food I wanna repurpose it my dang self! Someone else doing it is just gross :sick

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Moldy fruit is definitely a bad idea, but my uncle works in an ice cream plant so I've known about turning "mistake" flavours into chocolate since the 80s--no point in wasting food that CAN be safely eaten. I'm thinking there are situations where re-purposing/processing is just fine, and others where people really ought to know better.

That said, we make our own ice cream because I can't tolerate a lot of the additives in commercial ice cream. It's not an issue for us because we don't buy any processed foods.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
With respect to the chocolate flavoring and all the allergies prevalent today, it would seem dangerous to me to just dump something in and not list it in the ingredients. Is that what happens?

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I believe that "natural and artificial flavouring" is how it gets listed for ice cream ;) At least according to my uncle as regards his company.

It's not like they're going to take something with known allergens like nuts or strawberries and be able to cover that up with chocolate syrup...

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if it would have to say "may contain -- this or that". Thanks!

Latest posts