Ohio and Issue 2~poll results are coming in, for now, 2 is passing

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
In South Carolina I just read a big fight between an old timey apple farm and the state. LONG ago they granted them to sell apples, cider and all that at the festivals....in fact a huge apple festival is based around the farm each year. Thousands attend and it builds biz for the community.

The state just said they are in big violoations cause they don't have permits, kitchen permits and all this other mess to be selling to the public....and the state decides this after 28 years in business!!!!

go blow I say to the state.

problem is they want to back charge the violations, and it should take like 2 years to clean up the legal mess.....the farm is just flabbergasted and the citizens are ticked.

UGH
They forgot or neglected to grease someone's palm, from the sounds of it.
We see that nonsense around here on a local level. They have been periodically pulling this on the local medieval faire which is pretty much that town's only tax revenue. :tongue

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
sylvie said:
QA, just passed a You-Pick fruit farm that has "vote yes issue 2" signs up along their frontage. They seem to be a fruit produce agricultural business only so not representative of animal/livestock farms, IMO.
I have chickens and hopefully goats (would LOVE an alpaca) in the future so I am concerned.
I'm concerned, too, but from what I am understanding now, the whole issue 2 is to STOP HSUS and PETA from being able to do to us like they did to California.

I spoke with a local rep and asked why is it being added to Ohio's constitution, and the answer is because HSUS and PETA cannot circumvent Ohio's Constitution.

Country Momma is correct when she corrected my obviously wrong conclusion that federal automatically overrides our state constitution. (I looked it up!) *hangs head in embarrassment*

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am just sick of having to choose on these confusing as hell, rock and a hard place, lesser of two evils, won't take our no for an answer type issues. School levies, local taxes, city taxes, gambling, and now this issue 2. I'm sick of it! Sick! :barnie :somad :rant :tongue :duc

Rant over. So how are we voting now? :hu

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, the banner at the bottom of the page says to vote yes. :lol: Please tell me you see it too.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
After further study, I realize that I was mistaken on issue 2 myself. If it is going to stop PETA and HSUS from having any say in Ohio, then I am ALL FOR IT!

I AM VOTING YES ON ISSUE 2!!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Javamama said:
Well, the banner at the bottom of the page says to vote yes. :lol: Please tell me you see it too.
LOL yes, I see it!!

And I agree, it is confusing! So I'm still researching and praying, but I'm not as panicked or as freaked out as I was. :)

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
This is what made me reconsider my decision to vote no, the following six reasons to vote no is straight from the HSUS.org website. (I put in BOLD what I found to be offensive.)

Six Reasons to Vote NO on Ohio's Issue 2

1. Issue 2 seeks to stop animal welfare improvements. Agribusiness interests are trying to change the Ohio constitution so they can continue cruel and inhumane practices on factory farmsconfining animals in tiny cages and crates so small they cant even turn around. Issue 2 proposes an industry-dominated power grab to protect the status quo: hens crammed into cages so tightly they cant even spread their wings, breeding pigs confined in tiny barren crates and calves chained by their necks inside veal crates. We wouldnt force our pets to live in filthy, cramped cages for their whole lives, and we shouldnt force farm animals to either. All animals, including those raised for food, deserve humane treatment.

2. Issue 2 threatens our food safety and health. Factory farmers have put our health at risk by recklessly telling us that its okay to keep animals in overcrowded, inhumane conditions. Cramming tens of thousands of animals into tiny cages fosters the spread of animal diseases that may affect people. For example, the American Journal of Epidemiology reported that people who eat eggs from hens confined in cages are 250% more likely to contract Salmonella. The extreme confinement of animals is also a major factor in the emergence of diseases like H5N1 and H1N1 (bird and swine flu). Passing Issue 2 would be bad for animalsand bad for us.

3. Issue 2 favors large factory farms, not Ohios family famers. Family farmers and groups like the Ohio Farmers Union and Family Farm Defenders oppose Issue 2 because they know that food quality and safety are enhanced by better farming practices. Increasingly, they are supplying mainstream retailers like Safeway and Burger King. Factory farms cut corners and drive family farmers out of business when they put profits ahead of animal welfare and our health.

4. Issue 2 threatens Ohios environment. The American Public Health Association has called for a moratorium on new factory farms because of the devastating effects these operations can have on surrounding communities. Factory farms often spread waste on the ground untreatedcontaminating our waterways, lakes, groundwater, soil, and air. By helping keep the worst animal confinement practices in Ohio, Issue 2 threatens our precious natural resourcesthats why the Ohio Environmental Stewardship Alliance and Ohio Sierra Club oppose it.

5. Issue 2 sets Ohio backwards, while other states are moving forward. Seven statesArizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Maine, Michigan, and Oregonhave banned the use of inhumane confinement devices for farm animals. In the European Union, veal crates are illegal, as are barren battery cages (effective 2012) and gestation crates (effective 2013). Rather than make advances to help farmers, consumers, and animal welfare, Issue 2 will ensure that Ohio lags behind other states and public opinion when it comes to the treatment of farm animals and movement away from the worst factory farming practices.

6. Issue 2 is opposed by leading organizations and experts. Issue 2 is opposed by The Humane Society of the United States, the Capital Area Humane Society, the Cleveland Animal Protective League, the Toledo Area Humane Society, the Ohio Farmers Union, the Ohio Environmental Stewardship Alliance, Progress Ohio, League of Women Voters of Ohio, Center for Food Safety, the Ohio Sierra Club, Ohio Ecological Food and Farming Association, the Columbus Dispatch, the Cleveland Plain Dealer, and the Dayton Daily News.

Don't let Big Ag get away with this power grab: Vote NO on Issue 2.
My comments to what I bolded:
In reason 1, I don't think it's cruel or inhumane to confine meat or egg laying chickens to a cage. They have food, water, and shelter. They aren't pets, nor should they be esteemed in the same manner (it's different if it's my backyard flock). Pigs confined to crates HAHAHA It's farrowing crates so mama won't lay on her babies! And for the veal, well, we visited a veal farm. The calves aren't laying in their own feces or anything, and the reason they don't want them moving around is because it keeps the meat tender. Again, they have food, water, and shelter.

In reason 4, I want to know what waste they mean? The waste products of the animals? and untreated, so what? They want us to put pollutants on it that is potentially harmful to the environment?? I may be wrong, but I took this as they don't want us spreading our cow manure on our gardens.

Reason 5, I don't for one second believe Ohio is Backwards! I think all of those other states were duped by the HSUS and they are regrettably going to be paying a very HIGH cost as a result.

That's just my thoughts, and I'd really like to hear others. :)

edited to add: I really want a shirt that says: People Eating Tasty Animals

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I just got home from my local Beek Assoc monthly meeting. As always a great meeting covering local and state issues.

Many of the beeks in this group are not only beekeepers, but farmers as well. There were 30 people in attendance. All are voting FOR ISSUE 2, for a variety of reasons.

These folks aren't conglomerate agri-biz farmers. They are my neighbors like Mr. Dodge who at 89 is still providing food for his family (meat, veggies, fruits, honey) and who sells some beef, pork, and honey locally to supplement his retirement savings. He is worried that out-of-state influences are not interested in protecting families from unsafe food sources, but want the right to tell Ohioans how to raise their food, be it animal or vegetable.

A very thought provoking meeting.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I heard from one of the beef guys at our farm market that if this passes, it's going to put alot of the market merchants out of business because they won't be able to afford the needed changes. For him, it would require a refrigerated van/truck unit to be able to bring his meat instead of the iced down coolers they use now. He said the only way he will be able to sell is directly from his farm :(